Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Business or Medicine?

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler

Well I'm not that sure yet, but obviously I want to get into the top universities in their fields. Your knowledge of universities in Canada is still valid, as the schools you mentioned are definitely the best in Canada to study business or medicine.

But I'm setting my goal a bit higher, and I would like to get into a university in the states, say Harvard business school or something? I know it will be really hard, but I'm sure I still have a chance of making it.

Even better, I drool after the big scholarships that I have a very slim chance of getting. But you never know, one day I might just win the U of T top $60000 (3X$20000) scholarship...

The only thing I really hate and bothers me the most is that most scholarships and top programs require more than just good marks, but they need like significant contribution to your community or like winning awards and contest and stuff like that.

I have a 96% average as of semester one, I have extra-curricular activities and I've won a few minor contests (I was pascal math contest champion ).

So what can I do to put on my university application that could potentially fall into the "significant contribution to your community" category? I really need this because some kid I know got into Harvard Law, just because he started some stupid charity program in his area and he's marks were like below 90%.
    Pascal is the grade 12 competition, correct? Yeah, I won that one in 1991 for my district.

University in the states is only better if you plan to live and work there - it carries no more weight here as far as a career in medicine (although it might for business). What makes it difficult to get into is that you're applying as a foreign student, and there are very limited number of positions available. The thing is, you can apply to American schools separately from Canadian schools, so it doesn't change the number of Universities you can apply to here. I'd apply to both and see how it goes. Just because you get accepted to schools here, doesn't mean you have to go to them if you do get into a school in the states. Remember you have to write your SATs if you want to apply to schools in the states - not all schools here give out information on the SATs, but your guidance counsellor will have details about them.
    Okay thx NikkiD, really appreciate the info. Dammit, I get a headache just thinking about the upcoming SAT...

As of now, I guess I'll try for a US school for business, and a Canadian school for medicine. Thx again!
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Lounge   -   #22
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    Maybe you could be able to get into MIT.

I might take political sciences, social studies or business. Maybe an MBA, I'd really want to go to London School of Economics for the first two. LSE

My parents want me to become a doctor, even thoough I'm terrible at the sciences (except biology). I'm really good at History, and social studies/sciences. I did well in world issues in our government class.

We still have some time to decide and our councilers are pretty good. You could always talk to them.
    Last edited by maebach; 02-03-2006 at 04:22 AM. Reason: link

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Be an othodontist or a plastic surgeon,loads of dosh there

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
    Be an othodontist or a plastic surgeon,loads of dosh there

Sure theres alot of money for becoming a plastic surgeon but a much higher chance of getting sued. By the way im constantly debating the same thing seedler. Im currently going to grade 11 this september. I think becoming a doctor is a safer choice to get a job but buisness would be more riskier to get a job but really rewarding if you make it. Then i again i know someone who has done a pharmacy degree (i dont know what its called) and then later did buisness and now works for a pharmaceutical company and if you look around the market for pharmaceuticals is booming.

By the wat Maebach how old are you? Im coming to burlington in like 2 weeks.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I'd pick medicine, personally. There aren't too many out-of-work doctors out there.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    So Seedler, how's summer school going?
    You do not need to see my I.D.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    So Seedler, how's summer school going?
    :earl:
    Last edited by Proper Bo; 07-29-2006 at 10:09 AM. Reason: :earl:

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Personally I'd pick an easygoing course, fart about for 4 years but finish it so you can say you've got A degree.
    Consequently do fuck all with that degree and start doing sales

Works great for me

Seriously though, it's two completely different things mate. What do you actually want to do with your life?
    Money REALLY isn't everything.
    I was almost making double in my previous job than what I make now but I absolutely hated it.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Personally I'd pick an easygoing course, fart about for 4 years but finish it so you can say you've got A degree.
    Consequently do fuck all with that degree and start doing sales

Works great for me

Seriously though, it's two completely different things mate. What do you actually want to do with your life?
    Money REALLY isn't everything.
    I was almost making double in my previous job than what I make now but I absolutely hated it.
    and there's no more back of cars, sleazy alleyways and regular injections now.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    That's a bit harsh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast