Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the subject of being offended by cartoons

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    In a protest with an unusual number of high-level signatures, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and each of its five members have fired off a letter assailing a Washington Post cartoon as "beyond tasteless."

The Tom Toles cartoon, published Sunday, depicts a heavily bandaged soldier in a hospital bed as having lost his arms and legs, while Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, in the guise of a doctor, says: "I'm listing your condition as 'battle hardened.' " Toles said he meant no offense toward American soldiers.

The letter to The Post, signed by Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the vice chairman and the service chiefs of the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force, said: "We believe you and Mr. Toles have done a disservice to your readers and your paper's reputation by using such a callous depiction of those who have volunteered to defend this nation, and as a result, have suffered traumatic and life-altering wounds . . .

"While you or some of your readers may not agree with the war or its conduct, we believe you owe the men and women and their families who so selflessly serve our country the decency to not make light of their tremendous physical sacrifices." The letter, which a reporter obtained from the Pentagon, is being published today.

The cartoon is based on remarks that Rumsfeld made last week. In rejecting warnings by a Pentagon-sponsored study that the Iraq war risks "breaking" the Army, he said the U.S. military is "battle hardened" and an "enormously capable force." At the bottom of the cartoon, in smaller type, Rumsfeld says: "I'm prescribing that you be stretched thin. We don't define that as torture."
    source

So is this cartoon mocking the wounded soldier or Rumsfields attitude to those that serve in the military ?

I believe the latter is the case.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    It's mocking Rumsfeld.

Funny enough the administration is getting offended for "soldiers and families of soldiers" when they aren't the butt of the joke.

How else could they yell loudly?

..and what's this with "the letter assailing" the newspaper.? Why don't the Joint Chiefs order a boycott of all newpapers and issue an assassination order?
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-02-2006 at 08:40 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Ha, what comedic timing.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    It's mocking Rumsfeld.

Funny enough the administration is getting offended for "soldiers and families of soldiers" when they aren't the butt of the joke.

Clearly so. Funny how the yelling will just widen the impact of the cartoon (hopefully).

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I think it's obvious, it's a pop at Rumsfeld. The mock offence on behalf of your soldiers is simply an attempt to disguise (mis-represent) the true meaning.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS
    It's mocking Rumsfeld.

Clearly so. Funny how the yelling will just widen the impact of the cartoon (hopefully).
    Good point.

It'll reach more people and those with brains will just laugh at Rumsfeld which was the intention.

I think those without brains go "That's a soldier looking fucked up on 'comic' strip."

"I'm offended."

Rumsfeld and his words are there for decoration, apparently.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    At least this cartoon is quite funny, unlike the other ones.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Must feel great having such 'tards in charge of your army (if they actually believe they are fooling anyone)

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Must feel great having such 'tards in charge of your army (if they actually believe they are fooling anyone)
    The conservatives will stay in line because it serves their purpose.

As them being 'tards for this political stuff, the main thing I want is for them to be good military.

They can be political 'tards all they want.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    The conservatives will stay in line because it serves their purpose.

As them being 'tards for this political stuff, the main thing I want is for them to be good military.

They can be political 'tards all they want.
    You don't think it would be better for them to stfu and concentrate soley on military matters.

Rather than them be vocal polital 'tards in addition, like.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast