Thread: The Last Question - Asimov

Nevermore's Avatar Pickin' bones
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Asimov
    This is by far my favorite story of all those I have written.

After all, I undertook to tell several trillion years of human history in the space of a short story and I leave it to you as to how well I succeeded. I also undertook another task, but I won't tell you what that was lest l spoil the story for you.

It is a curious fact that innumerable readers have asked me if I wrote this story. They seem never to remember the title of the story or (for sure) the author, except for the vague thought it might be me. But, of course, they never forget the story itself especially the ending. The idea seems to drown out everything -- and I'm satisfied that it should.
    The Last Question

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Good story & its one i've never come across before. Thanks for that

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Good stuff! I'm a big fan of Asimov, and I never read that before either. Thanks!

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Funny, it's not the first Asimov story I've read with a computer named Multivac, I think.

The other story featuring Multivac, if I remember the name of that computer correctly, had been turned into a comic, along with a few other short stories by the man. Now I have to go home and try to find the comics.

Oh yeah, and I don't think I'd read this one, so thanks.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    You're all very welcome. Good to see there's some Asimov aficionados here.

SnnY: Multivac appears in quite a few of Asimov's stories...
    Multivac @ Wikipedia

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Like the others I'm a big fan of his and I've read quite a lot of what he's written, so I'm a bit surprised that the only other story of his featuring Multivac I'd read was "All the Troubles of the World".

He did write a lot tho', published about 1000 words for every day of his adult life, I think. Therefore I suppose it's not that amazing that I'd managed to miss or forget Multivacs other appearances.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    1000 words a day? Incredible effort. I guess once it became routine though, writing that much would be like 'just another day at the office', so to speak.

There are Asimov comics? I had no idea such a thing existed.
    Damn. Now I'm curious to see what they're like compared to the novels.
    What the characters look like on the page versus what they're like in my imagination, how the artist managed to fit an Asimov tale into comic panels and so forth.

I wonder if I can find any scans online...

8. Lounge   -   #8
    If I can find the mag(s), I'll have a look at who the artist was.

Found This btw, but it's not what I've read before.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-07-2006 at 07:49 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Interesting style. Very sixties look to the comic art, but I can't understand a word of the story. Should've paid more attention in french class I suppose.

I managed to find a version of I, Robot in comic form on eMule, but it's in spanish - so that's no better.

Aren't there any english language Asimov comics? If not, there's a gaping huge hole in the market.