Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Is Great Sometimes....Thank Goodness For Sudden Death OT But We Need More!

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I was trying to figure out what year that I went to that sorry ass football game that ended in a tie.

Low and behold wiki came through. It also showed me how unlucky I was.

Since that major rule change, ties in the NFL are very rare. In 31 years, there have only been 16 tied NFL regular season games:

Denver Broncos/Pittsburgh Steelers 35 - 35 September 22, 1974

Minnesota Vikings/Los Angeles Rams 10 - 10 September 19, 1976

Green Bay Packers/Minnesota Vikings 10 - 10 November 26, 1978

Tampa Bay Buccaneers/Green Bay Packers 14 - 14 October 12, 1980

Miami Dolphins/New York Jets 28 - 28 October 4, 1981

Baltimore Colts/Green Bay Packers 20 - 20 December 19, 1982

St. Louis Cardinals/New York Giants 20 - 20 October 24, 1983

Detroit Lions/Philadelphia Eagles 23 - 23 November 4, 1984

Atlanta Falcons/San Francisco 49ers 10 - 10 October 19, 1986

Philadelphia Eagles/St. Louis Cardinals 10 - 10 December 7, 1986

Green Bay Packers/Denver Broncos 17 - 17 September 20, 1987

New York Jets/Kansas City Chiefs 17 - 17 October 2, 1988

Cleveland Browns/Kansas City Chiefs 10 - 10 November 19, 1989

Baltimore Ravens/Philadelphia Eagles 10 - 10 November 16, 1997

Washington Redskins/New York Giants 7 - 7 November 23, 1997 (load of crap )

Pittsburgh Steelers/Atlanta Falcons 34 - 34 November 10, 2002
    I fmao that game and so did the blood coming out my nose. (I also had the stupidity to still be drinking a cold beer )

I think they should play until there's a winner or give all the fans their money back.

Does anyone else think that draws should be completely eliminated in the NFL? (so this fucking travestyblightorama never rears it's ugly disappointing head to the fans (and players) of this great game.)

Since they happen so sparingly and there can't be ties in the playoffs, why have them during the regular season?

edit: Oh the game I went to had the distinction of being the lowest scoring tie since SDOT was introduced. One fucking TD.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-07-2006 at 05:25 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    In a round robin competition, there simply isn't any need to go to the incovenience of a sudden death play-off to decide a winner on the day.

When a whole game has been played and the two teams are tied, it's usually because they've been equally matched throughout, a share of the spoils is a fair result.

I am assuming the sudden death to which you refer would be the teams playing on until someone scores either a FG or a touchdown? So a whole week of physical and tactical preparation plus the exertion and intellectual effort put in by all players and coaching staff might come down to who has the best kicker - or more likely which team first gets the ball in their hand for first down. Playing overtime also increases the chances of players getting injured, particularly since they're more likely to be fatigued.

While a form of sudden death would be a necessary evil to determine a winner in the knockout stages, it simply is not in the group stages.

That's why you don't get sudden death in any team sports in a round robin tournament.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    In a round robin competition, there simply isn't any need to go to the incovenience of a sudden death play-off to decide a winner on the day.

When a whole game has been played and the two teams are tied, it's usually because they've been equally matched throughout, a share of the spoils is a fair result.

I am assuming the sudden death to which you refer would be the teams playing on until someone scores either a FG or a touchdown? So a whole week of physical and tactical preparation plus the exertion and intellectual effort put in by all players and coaching staff might come down to who has the best kicker - or more likely which team first gets the ball in their hand for first down. Playing overtime also increases the chances of players getting injured, particularly since they're more likely to be fatigued.

While a form of sudden death would be a necessary evil to determine a winner in the knockout stages, it simply is not in the group stages.

That's why you don't get sudden death in any team sports in a round robin tournament.
    I don't know what you mean by round robin but we rarely end up with ties in basketball, football, baseball, or hockey. Even in basketball, which seems to have the most overtime play, the players trained for a such a situation.

Overtime in any of our tournaments is necessary to determine a winner. Sudden Death is just the means of not prolonging the game to get a winner but can be unfair in football due to possession being determined by a coin flip. Basketball is the fairest of them all since it is based on time (an extra 5 min.)

Ties are not necessarily since an actual winner can be determined with just little more play.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Sometimes an honourable draw is the only fair result.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Round robin is where everyone plays each other and either the team with the best results wins, or the top teams of the league go thro to a knockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Ties are not necessarily since an actual winner can be determined with just little more play.
    That's just it - a little more play determines who wins - it's much more likely to come down to chance rather than skill - unlike a full 60 minute (or however long) contest.

It's fairer to share the points.

Obviously in knockout situation, sudden death in some form has to happen if normal play doesn't separate the teams because both can't go thro to the next round, it is a necessary evil - but in round robin (league) matches, the fairest way is to share the spoils by calling the match a draw.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Countback of corners, anyone?

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Round robin is where everyone plays each other and either the team with the best results wins, or the top teams of the league go thro to a knockout.

That's just it - a little more play determines who wins - it's much more likely to come down to chance rather than skill - unlike a full 60 minute (or however long) contest.

It's fairer to share the points.

Obviously in knockout situation, sudden death in some form has to happen if normal play doesn't separate the teams because both can't go thro to the next round, it is a necessary evil - but in round robin (league) matches, the fairest way is to share the spoils by calling the match a draw.
    Why? The little more play involves both teams.

In football I think determining possession is the only "unfairity" due to the coin flip. I think they need to adopt something like the now defunct XFL rule of putting the ball in the middle of the field and run 2 guys from opposite ends and see who gets the ball first.

There's been talk for years of eliminating sudden death from football. I think winners in SDOT are evenly balanced with slight favor to the team that wins the coin toss.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Tell me do you American Football spectators go through the entire game before realizing it's dogshit or stop at least a quarter of the way through?

Just wondering since these game are quite lengthy.
    Last edited by Cheese; 02-07-2006 at 02:33 PM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    Tell me do you American Football spectators go through the entire game before realizing it's dogshit or stop at least a quarter of the way through?

Well they aren't that lengthy.

It's not like they are 80-hours or anything. If they were, I'd realize it was dogshit by at least the 20 HOUR MARK.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese

Well they aren't that lengthy.

It's not like they are 80-hours or anything. If they were, I'd realize it was dogshit by at least the 20 HOUR MARK.
    @y'all: I'm only teasing before I get a group of angry Texans in here. I quite enjoyed the Superbowl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast