Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disk Defragmentors

Originally posted by toddiscool@23 April 2003 - 08:26
    One thing about diskeeper, if you don't like it, or for some other reason you remove it. After you will notice that the windows defrag utility is gone!! Makes for a fun format.
    I uninstalled Diskeeper today and I still have the old (crap IMHO) windows defrag program. Try defrag from the command line if you can't get the UI version (compmgmt.msc)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Originally posted by McGee@22 April 2003 - 21:57
    I tried Diskeeper workstation, fuxed up my comp horribly, had to do 2 quick reformats and the problem didn't go away, so I had to do a dos format. There are some other defragmenters that work good, too, but I lost the ones I had before I reformatted.
    I installed Diskeeper 7 about 7-14 days ago and everything seemed to work fine. Until a couple of days ago when I couldn't access my F: partition as a limited user (non-administrator). I had to change back the permissions on my F: drive. Today I couldn't log on as my limited user. It was gone! Luckily all files were still there so I searched my user name in the registry and replaced all paths in it to my old user's path (C:\documents and folders\blah blah). I have now uninstalled this software.

I had Diskeeper running in the background ("set it and forget it" I think the option was called), but don't know if that was the reason it fucked my computer up a couple of times. I did a fresh install of WinXP Pro about 2 weeks ago, and all this started happening after installing Diskeeper.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Poster
    Executive Software Diskeeper 7.

It is the best no doubt. It is the fastest and is very effective.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Got Diskeeper 7 installed and it works great

what is the difference between the server and workstation edition
    (i think i have the server edition)
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    BANNED
    what does a disk defragmentor do? (yes im a noob) and how do you add your avatar to your name?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    a disk defragmentor grous to gether each file on the disk

when you save a file it goes to the first free area and writes as much of the file as it can there it then goes to the next free area (or sector) and writes the rest of the file.

a disk defragmentor sorts the files so that it uses contiuous sectors the reduces the amout of disk movement so speeds up the computer
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    poppa smurf
    Originally posted by jojolite@23 April 2003 - 16:09
    I recomment "O&O Defrag Professional".Any comments?
    Another vote for O&O best bar none.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Originally posted by wolfman10_2000@22 April 2003 - 23:51
    I tryed Speed Disk its pretty fast but does'nt finish the job
    Never had any problems with Norton Speed Disk myself, its fast as the proverbial off the shovel Definitely advantages in being able to place your swap files at the front too. What else fragments your files more than K-lite?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Originally posted by south-paw@29 April 2003 - 05:40
    What else fragments your files more than K-lite?
    Any other p2p program?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    BANNED
      Definitely advantages in being able to place your swap files at the front too. What else fragments your files more than K-lite? 
    m8 what advantages?
    If al ur files and drives r defragmented regularly, u want notice an increase in performance(file access).

Besides u could use diskeepers boot-time defrag,which will put the page file and dir to the first avalible free space at the front.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast