Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless problem

just got a linksys wrt54gs and matching laptop card. had trouble since i got it with not being able to get on net(connection refused). it says ive got a good signal and connected. maybe its something simple but i dont know what it is. thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Firewall perhaps?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Starting at the start.

What operating system?
    What is upstream of the wrt54gs?
    Have you got the WAN port conected to your cable/adsl modem?
    Are the link lights on at both ends of that connection?

Reboot the laptop with only the wireless card in, no other network connection
    Try to browse to http://192.168.1.1
    do you get the wrt54gs configuration page?
    If not open a command prompt, type ipconfig /all and post the result here
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Win Xp
    upstream? ihave 3mb down/256k up cable if thats what you mean.
    modem cable to ethernet port labeled internet,then i got a cable from ethernet port 1 to my desktop which im on now
    i dont understand about link lights
    when i type 192.168.1.1 i do not get the config page
    when i type ipconfig /all a little DOS screen flashes up for a split second.
    one of my neighbors has a unsecured network and i can get onto it. they live about 100 yards away so it dont pick up good

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    When you type 'ipconfig /all' you need to type in the command prompt. Not in the run window.

when i type 192.168.1.1 i do not get the config page
    Did you type that in a web browser? Something is drasticly wrong. Try resetting the router and disable any firewall in your system. Try that 192.168.1.1 again.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    think i got it.uninstalled the linksys program, rebooted, let xp find hardware,put in linksys disk got driver working thus far

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    You don't need the linksys disk. It will just make things more complicated than it needs to be. Just plug in the router and it will work.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv
    What is upstream of the wrt54gs?
    upstream speed? upstream speed and downstream speed are equal, on a typical router. same speed in both directions. just going by the model number, i'd guess 54 megabits per second (aka 6.75 megabytes per second). it's more than sufficient for a modern residential broadband connection, if that's where your question was leading.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 02-10-2006 at 02:58 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    upstream speed?
    I meant "What device is upstream of the wrt54gs". I was eliminating possibilitys. Zero66 obviously has some idea what he is going but now and again you run across some technically inept person who has got the cables in the wrong sockets or managed to connect an ethernet port to a telephone socket.

just going by the model number, i'd guess 54 megabits per second (aka 6.75 megabytes per second
    That is the raw speed of the radio interface, not the upstream speed which is 10/100 ethernet. Since it also has 10/100 ethernet ports for client computers I'd expect it to be able to do 100Mbps up minus the ethernet overhead.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    "What device is upstream of the wrt54gs".
    oh. i was confused by your phrasing. "upstream of." never heard people say it like that. i would've said "on the WAN side of," since the stream doesn't flow in only one direction. yeah nevermind.

connect an ethernet port to a telephone socket.
    hmm... that is an interesting proposition.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 02-10-2006 at 05:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast