Thread: Cracking Laptop BIOS Password

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    I couldn't remember the BIOS password to my ancient Toshiba Satellite 2710 XDVD laptop...

I went onto a couple of BIO password cracking sites, and nothing has worked so far. No backdoors passwords nor holding the left shift key when booting worked for me.

I'm out of ideas, so any suggestions? I also need to know who manufactures Toshiba Laptop BIOS. Is it Phoenix? BIOSTAR? Or does toshiba makes its own laptop bios?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Floppy BIOS PW cracking software dont work, because now I'm locked out of the boot menu.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Find the jumper which clears cmos.

If you are lucky there may even be a jumper which simply resets the password, but that's unlikely.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Find the jumper which clears cmos.

If you are lucky there may even be a jumper which simply resets the password, but that's unlikely.
    That usually works with a desktop comp, but I just read that you cant do that with a Toshiba notebook.

Biostar XE T5
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Here's one option I've come across:
    Key Disk for Toshiba laptops

Some Toshiba notebooks allow to bypass BIOS by inserting a "key-disk" in the floppy disk drive while booting. To create a Toshiba Keydisk, take a 720Kb or 1.44Mb floppy disk, format it (if it's not formatted yet), then use a hex editor such as Hex Workshop to change the first five bytes of the second sector (the one after the boot sector) and set them to 4B 45 59 00 00 (note that the first three bytes are the ASCII for "KEY" followed by two zeroes). Once you have created the key disk put it into the notebook's drive and turn it on, then push the reset button and when asked for password, press Enter. You will be asked to Set Password again. Press Y and Enter. You'll enter the BIOS configuration where you can set a new password.
    I'm told you can get round the boot lockout with a dongle attached to the parallel port, connecting the following pins:
    1-5-10
    2-11
    3-17
    4-12
    6-16
    7-13
    8-14
    9-15
    Perform a reset boot and your password should be cleared.

If you can get it booted, keydisk can apparently reset the password. I assume you need something like a win98 boot disk.

Don't know if any of these will work for you, but they've certainly been reported to work by others.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well from personal expeirience with a older toshiba laptop lynx is correct (it worked for me) http://markus.birth-online.de/info_b...8061bebebf3519
    Think I had a Satellite 2615...The only funny thing about this is after you fix it what the he** do you do with the dongle LOL...Mines has been in the drawer for months...Good Luck this type of issue can drive you nuts...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Here's one option I've come across:

I'm told you can get round the boot lockout with a dongle attached to the parallel port, connecting the following pins:
    1-5-10
    2-11
    3-17
    4-12
    6-16
    7-13
    8-14
    9-15
    Perform a reset boot and your password should be cleared.

If you can get it booted, keydisk can apparently reset the password. I assume you need something like a win98 boot disk.

Don't know if any of these will work for you, but they've certainly been reported to work by others.
    Thx much! Wow it worked like a charm with Hexworks... Thx again
    Biostar XE T5
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think Lynx wins the "Most Esoteric Yet Still Useful Bit of Information" award for this one.

The very essense of what HardwareWorld is all about.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Gee you could have even bought the dongle on ebay(some people) http://cgi.ebay.ca/BIOS-CMOS-Passwor...QQcmdZViewItem

But seriously I'm happy the link helped you.This problem was maddening when I had it took me about 6 hrs to figure it out....