Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cd Buying

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    This is an interesting thread. I keep hearing people complain about the price of CDs. It appears this trend is not as bad as it is being exaggerated here. Example, this weekend I had to buy some CDs, long story, but I broke down and did it.

Linkin Park - Meteora ** $10.99 + tax
    Godsmack - Faceless ** $11.99 + tax
    Ra - From One ** $7.99 + tax

This cost me just over $30. These bands are considered mainstream popular rock, with Godsmack and Linkin Park ranked #1 and #2 on the Billboard top 50. The prices weren't nearly as inflated as I expected them to be. I don't live in a big city, and these are all commercially available from any Circuit City where I purchased them this weekend.
    Proud member of MDS

2. Music   -   #32
    yeah i totally agree with you Jibbler. The CD prices are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Plus you get the CD insert, which are usually pretty good.

3. Music   -   #33
    I'm glad this thread is drawing the VINYL fans out of the woodwork. Or it could just be the old fuc kers!!

If I buy a CD I can pay anything up to £17, buying the same album on VINYL would probably cost about the same (if it's available on VINYL that is) price. So I can't see any point buying it on CD. If there's bonus tracks I'll download them for a compilation burner. Plus the artwork and packaging of LP's is much better overall. I buy a lot of white-label promo's as well so I can get most of my tunes nice and early!! These can be dirt cheap too. Anything from £4 to £15!! Quite reasonable if you ask me. If I'm lucky and have the time away from work I'll shop for tunes 3-4 times per week.

Just gotta have that music!!
    Signature removed

4. Music   -   #34
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    Originally posted by emo_fan77@24 April 2003 - 02:54
    yeah i totally agree with you Jibbler. The CD prices are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Plus you get the CD insert, which are usually pretty good.
    The prices are bad imho, i dont know what it is in Dollars, but here an average cd costs €17 - 20. I think that is way to much...

5. Music   -   #35
    If you are going to pay for Music might as well pay to have it organized also.$20.....OrangeCD Suite.

6. Music   -   #36
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by MusicWorld@24 April 2003 - 10:22
    If you are going to pay for Music might as well pay to have it organized also.$20.....OrangeCD Suite.
    that's $20 well spent

as for the price of albums, they can easily reach £15 (which is ~$20 i thnk?) or higher. As I stated in another thread, if you don't live in the US you get ripped off for films and music, which AFAIK is the main reason for piracy over here

7. Music   -   #37
    TRshady
    I don't download that much music, kazaa for me is just for the 700mb divx films .

I get all my music from ripping from friends, familys cd's (sister buys loads&#33 using windows media player nice which works well by adding the album picture to the thumbnails etc (in xp).

I only buy cd's from the people I like (music wise) like 50 cent, dr.dre and errrrr ..... oh yeah, eminem

8. Music   -   #38
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Most CDs'll run me $23.00+ 14% tax (in the stores). I can't afford that often. The last CDs I bought were last month, from Columbia House.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

9. Music   -   #39
    Poster
    To be honest i dont buy as much music as i used to before i got my PC,but having said that i do still buy as it has been a passion of mine for over 25 years now.

If cd's were cheaper to buy in England then i damn sure that people would but more,but they have always been overpriced so now the music sales are suffering.

Here is some of my user info from soulseek:

If you like what you download, consider buying the CD, or buying something from the same artist or label.Just because you get music for free DONT stop buying it.

Try to download stuff you haven't necessarily heard before. Why not use filesharing to expand your musical horizons? before it all gets banned or becomes corporately-controlled by money hungry fools.

And i stand by my words.

10. Music   -   #40
    Originally posted by N£MO@24 April 2003 - 10:43
    Try to download stuff you haven't necessarily heard before.  Why not use filesharing to expand your musical horizons? before it all gets banned or becomes corporately-controlled by money hungry fools.

That is how I got most the Music I listen to alot now.I see a band I never heard of in somebodys shared and I go to the All Music Guide to read about them and if they sound ok or are put in a genre with another band I like I grab them.

And after that I take my albums and put them in OrangeCD Music Collection Manager.

Your all-in-one Music application for the World of Music.Which is $20 untell May 1st at which the price goes up to $34.95, so buy now so you can get 43% discount towards the new price!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234