Thread: Help! Admin Settings Changed!

Poster
    I just got Photoshop CS2 off TorrentReactor.net

I ran the file Setup.Exe which has an Adobe icon, nothing happened. When I tried to Ctrl-Alt-Del it says "Task Manager Has Been Disabled By Your Administrator". When I goto Msconfig, it just takes me to my Documents And Settings Folder...

Can someone help me?!!

Edit: Ok, it was a virus. My Regedit has also been Disabled By Admin. The virus is gone, but how can I fix this?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Ok, I seem to have fixed the problem and fixed everything except MSconfig still takes me to My Documents, I've used TuneUp's Start Up Utility to remove the virus's traces from the start up, but how can I fix the fact that it takes me too My Documents when I try run it?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I fixed it, thank god. Now I just need to be sure that Sys. Restore works.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    make sure you comment on the virus in torrentreactor so as to warn off others from doing the same. This is another example of why private trackers are better. glad you got it all fixed up

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp

one of the first things you should do if you suspect a virus infection....
    turn off system restore

then go about cleaning/repairing, then reboot, then you can re-enable sys restore

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by fkdup74
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp

one of the first things you should do if you suspect a virus infection....
    turn off system restore

then go about cleaning/repairing, then reboot, then you can re-enable sys restore

Well said Fkdup , but a lot of people forget that . I think thats why I disabled System Restore in the first place and went to a dvd ghost type back up . But different strokes for different folks .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    The thing I think people are missing about SR. Theres 3 ways to set it. On, off & the 3rd is to delete all previous SRP.

I take a different course with SR. Every couple days at least I do some simple cleanup, TU2006 etc. When I get the AOK I set a SRP. Then I delete all other SRP. Then before attempting a clean of a virus or other nasty as OP. I set a SRP. Then I go about my scanning. If that f*cks everything up as it sometimes does. I have SRP to go back to & try other cleaning methods. After it's all AOK again. I set a new SRP. I usually call it "AOK". Then I delete all previous SRP. Good to go. No need to turn it off.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    No need to turn it off.
    nope, no need....until you catch a virus that can exploit sys restore....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Exploit such as reside there? If other please explain. Cause viruii residing in SR usually don't leap into the OS. Unless I failed to use SR according to the method I outlined. Course if the method I use traps a virus in SR. And the virus leaps into the active OS. Then I'm not adverse to the turn off/turn on method. But in my preferred method it helps avoid the cure is worse than the problem scenario (catastrophic system failure as the result of fixing the problem.)