Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding Mac floppy drive?

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    I didnt get a floppy drive when I bought my comp, but now I need one and I dont want to buy one. This is because when I took apart a mac lying in my basement, I pulled a mac floppy drive out.

The problem is that the foppy drive is a mac drive...apart from being digusting yellowish white, it doesnt have the eject button all windows floppy drives have. When I hooked it up, it reads and writes data fine but I cant get it to frigging eject floppy disks...it's pissing me off and I wanna know if there's a way to mod the floppy so it works with windows?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    i bought 9 floppy drives for 3 bucks each at a computer show last weekend...they all work good too (hp brand)
    they had dvd rom drives for 8 bucks bought 2 of those...good to have just in case

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Even if you buy a new one at 20 bucks, the labor time you spend modding the mac-floppy is more than enough to cover the price of a new one. Your time is also worth money....

Or you can just keep inserting a paper clip into the pin-hole. Personally, I don't like inserting something metal into an electrical appliance.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You just need to learn to appropriate Mac keyboard shortcuts.

To eject the floppy hit> Ctrl+Alt+BITEME.

This requires exceptional manual dexterity but that's what makes Mac users so special.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Mac users are also special, because they are getting ripped off...and are the true losers in the world

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    can u eject it via my computer? If you right click the icon when there is a floppy in it it may have the option to eject like cd/dvd drives do.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    how exactly do you get the disk to come out now? Like it has been said, floppy drives are cheap- I have five of them sitting around in my dorm room that i pulled out of old computers for free.
    BTW- Macs suck- one time I almost walked ten minutes across campus to use a computer to type something because the only computer lab in the area was a mac lab.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv
    how exactly do you get the disk to come out now? Like it has been said, floppy drives are cheap- I have five of them sitting around in my dorm room that i pulled out of old computers for free.
    BTW- Macs suck- one time I almost walked ten minutes across campus to use a computer to type something because the only computer lab in the area was a mac lab.
    What do you mean by "I almost walked ten minutes across campus..."

Did you or didn't you?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    I started to walk to the comp lab, then remembered that it was a mac lab, and considered going back to my dorm to not have to use a mac. I ended up working in the lab, although in hindsight, I realize that I spent twenty minutes trying to get the damn mac to work right before I could begin working, about the time it would have taken me to walk to my room and walk back.
    Last edited by Tempestv; 02-26-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Ah currently I'm inserting a pin to push the floppy out, and the "eject" function doesnt show up when I right click on drive A:.

Oh well, I'm not using it that much anyways, and if i do ever use it more frequently, I think i'll just buy a real windows floppy drive.

Oh btw, macs do suck...not because they suck as not having enough processing powers, but because they're just so goddamn expensive...A windows machine usually has 50% more power compared to a Mac at the same price. I've even seen a Mac overprice a Compaq desktop by 100%. (Mac was G5 2.0ghz, 512mb, x600xt, 17inch LCD, 160GB HD for $1999, Compaq was x64 3700+, 1 gig ram, 250GB HD, 19inch LCD @ $999.)
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast