Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound is Picking up Hard Drive Noises

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Since I got this new computer i've noticed that whenever my hard drive is doing any activity, and I have my headphones on, I can hear the noise of the ahrd drive through the headphones in the form of static.

It's really wierd and I cant seem to figure out how to stop it doing this. I used to get the same problem with my oldest computer (prebuilt hp) but disabling the microphone in windows properties fixed this, it won't fix it on my new comp though.

Has anyone else had this problem and know the fix? Or have any ideas?

Using onboard sound
    Motherboard is MSI K8N NEO4-F

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Try moving the HDD cables around or away from the onboard soundchip as much as possible.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Try moving the HDD cables around or away from the onboard soundchip as much as possible.
    I was thinking of trying that, altho the sata cables are far from the motherboard other than where it connects to it anyway.

I'm thinking maybe the hard drive's power cable could be switched the another one, maybe some interference is travelling through there somehow

I'll try these things tommorow and let you know if it changes anything.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I had similair problems it turned out to be something to do with the microphone even though i never had one.

tick the mute mic box and see if it helps.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    or try different headphones

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    I had similair problems it turned out to be something to do with the microphone even though i never had one.

tick the mute mic box and see if it helps.
    Nope that's the first thing I tried as I mentioned.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Onboard sound has a tendency to cause noise issues because of the close proximity of the circuitboard lines running parallel to one another. If your Motherboard has a design flaw that is causing the problem your only option will be to get a sound card. Try going to the Motherboards manufacturer site and look at the faq's, remember most manufacturers will not admit its their problem so forum complaints may be the only place you'll find people with the same problem. Try googling your motherboards model number followed by "sound issues" or "sound problems" or "headphone noise" etc.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Sounds like a Earth problem Rossco.
    I don't think it's an EMC problem as it's a new pc, but in saying that I don't know if you have the same regulations as europe in EMC emissions.

I would do a earth test on the house, if that's ok then something is failing on the computer and if it's new it needs sorting.
    the other thing it could be is a poor quility power supply "EMC" at it's best.
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I know the house is grounded properly.
    Could be the power supply but I think more likely the hard drive...
    I still haven't tried moving things around yet but when I do i'll post results.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Incase anyone is wondering...
    I got a new motherboard, cpu, etc. for my computer and still have teh same problem, worse than ever.
    Every part is changed except for the case, and I've figured out now that the problem is a poor ground for the front audio jacks.
    When I unplug them the interference goes away from the rear.

I also figured out that the problem was never the hard drive nosies, it was actually the USB.
    Every time I move my mouse, click a button, type something with my keyboard, or plug in my ipod and start transferring stuff I hear the interference.

The front USB and front audio share a ground and I'm guessing that the audio should have been seperated (get ground through the motherboard rather than through the usb, case, etc.)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast