Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft unveils Vista editions

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    [news=http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3858/microsoftlogo0gi.gif]Microsoft is planning six versions of the next incarnation of its Windows operating system.

Three versions of the software, called Vista, will be for home users, two will be for businesses and one will be for emerging markets.

One of the home versions of Vista will include features that let users store and play back TV shows.

No fixed date has been given for the release of Vista but it is expected to be launched by the end of 2006.

Launch line-up

Vista, which was known as Longhorn during its long development, is a major re-working of Windows that makes changes, among other things, to the way the operating system looks and how it handles networking and sound.

Microsoft said the six versions were designed to match the demands different users have for its software. No details have been given about the pricing of the separate versions.

The six versions are:

• Vista Business
    • Vista Enterprise
    • Vista Home Basic
    • Vista Home Premium
    • Vista Ultimate
    • Vista Starter

Vista Business will be the basic version for companies of all sizes and includes tools that will help organisations manage their PCs.

The Enterprise version of Vista will have all of the features in the basic version and add to them improved encryption including a BitLocker system that will stop confidential data being viewed if a computer is lost or stolen.

The Home Basic version is intended for those who only want to use their PC to browse the net, use e-mail and create and edit basic documents. It will also include desktop search and security tools.

Vista Home Premium includes everything in the Basic version and adds the new graphical interface called Aero.

Microsoft said it will also have improved media handling abilities so it can help users organise and enjoy their digital images, music and movie collections. Also included will be tools to help people author and burn DVDs.

PCs running the Premium edition will also be able to connect their machine to an Xbox 360 gaming console.

Vista Ultimate has all the features of the business and home editions in one package.

The Starter edition is a streamlined version intended for low powered PCs found in many developing nations.

Also available will be versions made specifically for Europe that, in accordance with an EU mandate, remove the Windows media player.

Microsoft pointed out that the current version of Windows, XP, is available in six different versions though most of these are tuned for the different types of hardware, such as a Tablet PC, people are using.

By contrast Vista versions are organised by what people plan to do with their computer.

"We don't want customers to be forced into buying something that isn't going to meet all their needs," said Barry Goffe, Microsoft's director of Windows client product management.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4754462.stm[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    isnt that kinda old news
    or there is anything new>

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Last Updated: Monday, 27 February 2006, 11:26 GMT

I didn't know there were going to be 6 versions.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Oh sorry, you are indeed right.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showt...vista+versions

Whoops.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    gevorg's Avatar Live and let live!
    So there won't be Vista Media Center edition?

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by gevorg
    Ive got media center (XP media center) and it doesnt fuckin work. bastard just closes when I try to do anything in it.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Quote Originally Posted by gevorg
    Ive got media center (XP media center) and it doesnt fuckin work. bastard just closes when I try to do anything in it.
    A friend of mine has a laptop with XPMC and he can record HD and it's like Tivo.

The problem is I don't think it'll work with my cable and it doesn't have 2 tuners.

Whoever can make some decent Tivo-loike software with free online updates for the TV guide will fucking rule!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Busyman, why did you quote me? You didnt say anything about my MC problem lol.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    It's jus' cause you mentioned XPMC.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    It's jus' cause you mentioned XPMC.
    Ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast