Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweden number one in Hockey.....

This olympics swedens best ever.

Gold medal in hockey wohoooo.... and rank number one in the world.

Foppa , Sundin , Lidström and many more. where was Jagr , Sakic , Knuble
    ??

What happened to Canada , U.S and the worldchampion Czechrepublic??
    hmm. maybe someone have an explaination.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Congrats to the Swedes, show these Americans, Canadians etc how to do it.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Actually, the Olympics brought a rather unusual circumstance to the fore.

Most of the foreign players are well known NHL players and fan favorites here in the US. It is a bit unusual that a predominantly American owned league is dominated by foreign players.

At one point 90% of the NHL was Canadian.

That is what made the 1980 miracle on ice such as miracle, the players were largely unknown college hockey players, not some professional league stars.

We all wanted the US to win, but how could that be possible when our own hockey league is largely from abroad.

That is the beauty of it though. Nobody cares from where their NHL stars come from, they are more intereseted in watching quality play, and victories from their team.

Oh,and of course, my sincere congratulations to the Swedes.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-28-2006 at 12:46 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Actually, the Olympics brought a rather unusual circumstance to the fore.

Most of the foreign players are well known NHL players and fan favorites here in the US. It is a bit unusual that a predominantly American owned league is dominated by foreign players.

At one point 90% of the NHL was Canadian.

That is what made the 1980 miracle on ice such as miracle, the players were largely unknown college hockey players, not some professional league stars.

We all wanted the US to win, but how could that be possible when our own hockey league is largely from abroad.

That is the beauty of it though. Nobody cares from where their NHL stars come from, they are more intereseted in watching quality play, and victories from their team.

Oh,and of course, my sincere congratulations to the Swedes.
    The NBA may have more foreign balance in another 7 years or so also.

Dirk Nowitzki (German) is unstoppable.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Thats why we have the NBA or NHL the best players from around the world play in North America . The Euro's get ripped off in my opionon thats why they pay so much attention to the olympics or world championships mabye ? Can't imagine the best baseball players playing in Japan for example no market or tv to show case .

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Thats why we have the NBA or NHL the best players from around the world play in North America . The Euro's get ripped off in my opionon thats why they pay so much attention to the olympics or world championships mabye ? Can't imagine the best baseball players playing in Japan for example no market or tv to show case .
    Why do you say the 'peons get ripped off?

They pay attention 'cause they have their nation's team playing. Pretty simple.

I only watch FIBA basketball occasionally. International b-ball doesn't have the flair and showmanship like the NBA.

The USA is not a hockey nation so it makes sense that the NHL would have tons of foreigners. The largest sports here have more diverse rosters also.

Baseball, basketball, football.

I think the first Dream Team did the most for making basketball more internationally accepted.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-28-2006 at 04:06 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Well peons is harsh and not my point , just that the home country pays for the programs then loses thier stars to other leauges . I meant it 's a good reason for them to get excited to see how well their country performs against the best at the olympics . Big money takes over every time ?

Ah I did n't explain it well , I'm thinking of the grass roots people that help with a sports program starting with the kids . You know the Olympics means well but its still kind of hypocritical . Pros don 't belong but Sweden played well and to be honest I really did n't know who to cheer for their both good teams .
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-28-2006 at 04:38 AM.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Well peons is harsh and not my point , just that the home country pays for the programs then loses thier stars to other leauges . I meant it 's a good reason for them to get excited to see how well their country performs against the best at the olympics . Big money takes over every time ?
    Are the leagues run by the country? Otherwise I don't see your point.

I know China runs their shit and that's why Yao gives half his NBA salary to the Chinese government. Communism at it's best.

Also I hear of players moving around to different 'pean leagues. What makes coming to America different?

Players go where the money is. Right now that is the USA.

It's also bad for the USA 'cause much of that money leaves the US economy.
    Yao Ming is a perfect example.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    The home country looses out seeing their biggest stars playing at home is what I'm getting at , hence the dollar factor . A true world leauge would have home teams like Texas , Vancouver , , Moscow, Tokyo etc. while good for the fans it will never happen . Its late here , I'm tired and talking nonsence sleep is whats needed .I do see your point tho .

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    The home country looses out seeing their biggest stars playing at home is what I'm getting at , hence the dollar factor . A true world leauge would have home teams like Texas , Vancouver , , Moscow, Tokyo etc. while good for the fans it will never happen . Its late here , I'm tired and talking nonsence sleep is whats needed .I do see your point tho .
    Yeah as I said 'peans have different leagues as well.

Dirk Nowitzki wouldn't have necessarily stayed in Germany to play b-ball.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast