Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: motherboard w/ two processors what are they called?

what are the motherboards called w/ two processors? I don't want a server motherboard.

Any links from newegg thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I want to get something that can handle a rendering 3d images and then surf the web without any lag, so im looking for a dual processor, would dual cores be better? I'm planning to install windows xp on it. Any ideas what to use?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    there called dual socket motherboards

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    dual socket are server motherboards arent they? would windows xp work on them? wouldnt i need like a special case for them too? would i be able to run it as a normal computer?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    some are set up as servers. the ones that you are looking for are called workstation motherboards. They are generally setup for performance, and many offer dual graphics cards. A friend of mine has dual operon 246s on one for gaming- here is a link

http://www.bitterrootlan.com/THE_CORE.html

If you want AMD, look for socket 940- they fit opteron 2xx series and above, and I am yet to see one with less than two sockets (up to four)
    As for Intel, you are looking at Xeon Processors on socket 603 or 604

I know that windows will support two processors- THE_CORE runs XP with it's two proccessors, I have seen spec sheets for a computer with the same motherboard, running 2 opt 275 (dual core) proccessors, for a total of four, and as far as I know, it was running xp. be warned though, that computer cost $12000. also, a dual socket motherboard can run with only one CPU, so you can get a running computer, and eventually upgrade if that works better.

As far as motherboards, I know the one THE_CORE is running is very good- Tyan K8WE, but for $600, it should be. most of these boards also require registered ram, which is more expensive. there is one out there that does not, not sure how it gets away with it. on the downside, that particular board does not have a single pci port. I don't know much about Xeon motherboards.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul814
    I want to get something that can handle a rendering 3d images and then surf the web without any lag, so im looking for a dual processor, would dual cores be better? I'm planning to install windows xp on it. Any ideas what to use?
    Dual cores will git er done. What kinda stuff do you model?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    was just looking at an ad for a tyan board that is a quad- socket 940 with dual PCI-E ports, but I don't have enough for a $1000 board, four $1200 processors, 32gb of registered ram, and two graphics cards, not to mention harddrives, powersupplys, cases and the like. sure would be nice though.

Dual cores will get most things done, infact for most things they could replace dual socket workstations. the biggest difference between a single dual core CPU and two single core CPUs is the ram. a dual socket motherboard is going to support twice the ram. if four gigs is not enough ram, move up to dual socket. the other advantage is that you could have two dual core CPUs, so it all depends on the power that you require. you have to be in need of a lot of computing power to need a dually. that dually that I posted a link for earlier will server video games at the same time, while playing one of the games at highest resolution settings, and you will notice the smallest amount of lag.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Well I'm building the computer for someone, budget was 1k+. I picked so parts out at work, I'll pick the other stuff later, gotta do some homework first. The computer is meant for a video editing, CAD, and 3d render. It isn't meant for gaming.

So far here are the parts how does it look?

Probably the other stuff I'm going to get for it
    Case is going to be a Cool Master
    Neopower PSU
    Video Card ATI All In Wonder
    Soundcard = Built in
    HD 250 Seagate Sata
    DVDRW/CDRW
    ----

Update ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    Model #: A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    Item #: N82E16813131568
    ** This item may only be returned for a replacement of the same make/model within 30 days only.
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $224.99 $224.99
    Memory - SystemQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail
    Model #: OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
    Item #: N82E16820227210

$40.00 Mail-in Rebate
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $29.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $199.99 $199.99
    ProcessorsQty. Product Description Unit Price Savings Total Price

Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
    Model #: ADA3800BVBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103562
    ** This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only.
    Select An Optional Extended Warranty Plan 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $39.99 2 Year Service Net Replacement Plan -- $59.99
    Remove Save Move To Wish List $297.00 $297.00
    Subtotal: $721.98
    Last edited by ooo; 02-28-2006 at 12:17 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Don't buy an SLI board unless you know for sure that you will use an SLI setup (2 bridged graphics cards).

RAM looks to be a good choice.

AMD Dual core is also a good choice instead of a dual socket mobo.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    yea, seems easier to set up anyways, well i have to ask the person if he wants to use SLI, he wants it upgradeable thats why, he wants to have 2 monitors which he will buy seperately so I don't know if he will want the SLI in the long run

he doesnt play to change it for a while so its better to be on the safe side.

Is there any geforce that can do what an all in wonder can do?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast