Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Video Card. Which would u get?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    which of these would u get.. why?

BFG Geforce 7900GTX OC 512MB
    or
    Powercolor 1900XTX 512MB
    Last edited by mr. nails; 03-11-2006 at 12:41 AM.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    The 1900XTX is generally a faster card, and cheaper too, so I'd say it was a no-brainer.

However I'd wait for the 7900 series. The 1900XTX will probably still be the faster card, but the prices promise to be very appealing.

edit: take a look at this article. The 7900 series is coming in a couple of weeks I think.
    Last edited by Skillian; 02-28-2006 at 05:06 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Like skillian said and from looking at alot of benchmarks the X1900XTX pwns the 7800GTX, my friends cousin just got that BFG 7800GTX 512mb like 2 weeks ago. like over 1 grand *sigh*. There both great cards in general but id go with the ATI.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    i've decided to postpone my new computer to after october 2006. direct x 10 is coming out in october, and video cards with dx10 support will start surfacing. so neither

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    i've decided to postpone my new computer to after october 2006. direct x 10 is coming out in october, and video cards with dx10 support will start surfacing. so neither
    Yep thats exactly what I'm doing. When Vista comes out AMD should support DDR2 and we will have DX10 cards. I'll wait to upgrade then.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    DX10

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian
    The 1900XTX is generally a faster card, and cheaper too, so I'd say it was a no-brainer.

However I'd wait for the 7900 series. The 1900XTX will probably still be the faster card, but the prices promise to be very appealing.

edit: take a look at this article. The 7900 series is coming in a couple of weeks I think.
    what is nvidia doing with that 7900? just from "those" specs, which i've never seen be4, thx, it still doesn't compare to the 1900xtx imo. the benches i've seen have the 1900xtx and the 7800gtx pretty much neck to neck, but the ati card wins over cuz of the 48 pixel shader processors.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    Yep thats exactly what I'm doing. When Vista comes out AMD should support DDR2 and we will have DX10 cards. I'll wait to upgrade then.
    I'm going to wait.
    Personally, I'm getting tired of spending big bucks on components only to see them rendered "obsolete" (if not discontinued altogether) within a few months.
    I'm betting that a high end s939 system will remain competitive with AM2 for at least a year after M2's introduction.
    This is not to mention the probability that Vista will be buggy eyecandy for the first few months after release anyway.
    DX10?
    What has been coded to actually take advantage of it yet?
    How long will it take till it's utilized by anything I care about?

What about all the DRM issues that Vista will introduce...do I really want to replace all my PCs internals AND my LCD just to adhere to the new standards?

In a word, no.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    I'm going to wait.
    Personally, I'm getting tired of spending big bucks on components only to see them rendered "obsolete" (if not discontinued altogether) within a few months.
    I'm betting that a high end s939 system will remain competitive with AM2 for at least a year after M2's introduction.
    This is not to mention the probability that Vista will be buggy eyecandy for the first few months after release anyway.
    DX10?
    What has been coded to actually take advantage of it yet?
    How long will it take till it's utilized by anything I care about?

What about all the DRM issues that Vista will introduce...do I really want to replace all my PCs internals AND my LCD just to adhere to the new standards?

In a word, no.
    For Vista I heard that you will need a Direct X10 card to run the desktop in 3D... maybe I'm wrong there tho. I know they will release Halo 2 only for Vista so they can get as much sales as possible and Halo 2 will use the Direct X 10 engine. I hear you can go in 2D in Vista also if your card isn't that great and I'm sure you can go into 2D neways. I'm sure there will be an option in Windows to go into 2D. Vista does sound like it's just going to be eyecandy and some little new features but I'm going to upgrade neways just considering eventually you would need to later I'm sure. I heard about how you have to upgrade your monitor for Vista but I don't understand why...either way I would be really pissed because I just spent over $500 for a new LCD. No fucking way am I going to buy ANOTHER monitor.
    Last edited by silent h3ro; 03-02-2006 at 02:58 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    friend of mine got 1000 extra pcmark 03 points running vista 64bit beta over xp media center.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast