100g/4oz Plain Flour
A pinch Salt
Vegetable Oil for frying
Sugar to serve
Lemon or Orange juice to serve
Wedges of Lemons or Oranges to garnish
1. Place the flour, salt, milk and egg in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and lump free. Preheat the oven to very low to keep the first lot of pancakes warm whilst you're cooking the remainder.
2. Transfer the batter to a measuring jug.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan until very hot, then pour most of it into a heatproof container, leaving just enough oil to coat the pan.
4. Pour in a little of the batter, tilting the pan to evenly cover the base with a thin layer. Fry over a moderate heat, shaking the pan gently so it doesn't stick, until the underside is golden. This will only take 1-2 minutes.
5. Using a palette knife, turn the pancakes over and cook the other side until golden.
6. Remove to a plate , cover with foil and place in the warmed oven whilst you cook the remaining pancakes in the same way.
Go forth and produce pancakes