Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish MPs at Westminster.

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Should they be allowed to vote on matters which are devolved to Scotland.

Example - Education.

There is going to be a vote on reforms to the secondary education system. These changes would not effect Scotland, as education is devolved to the Scottish Executive.

Should Scottish MPs (ie from Scottish constituencies) be allowed to vote on matters like this. They will be effecting how education works in all other parts of the UK, whilst the rest of the UK cannot effect Scottish education.

Should the English and Welsh be annoyed about this. (I don't know the situation in Ireland). Or have they every right to vote as they are MPs.

My opinion is that they shouldn't, but I can see the counter argument.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul

Example - Education.

There is going to be a vote on reforms to the secondary education system. These changes would not effect Scotland, as education is devolved to the Scottish Executive.

Should Scottish MPs (ie from Scottish constituencies) be allowed to vote on matters like this. They will be effecting how education works in all other parts of the UK, whilst the rest of the UK cannot effect Scottish education.

Should the English and Welsh be annoyed about this. (I don't know the situation in Ireland). Or have they every right to vote as they are MPs.

The vote may be questioned, or questionable, but they oughtn't be left from any debate, I don't think; surely they have good input?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Example - Education.

The vote may be questioned, or questionable, but they oughtn't be left from any debate, I don't think; surely they have good input?

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Let them contribute to the debate, however preclude them from the decision making process.

That makes sense to me.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Case in point is the recent vote on smoking. This was an issue which affected England alone, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had already made their decisions. I don't know the breakdown, but the total number of votes exceeded the number of English MPs by about 50, so at least 50 non-English MPs voted on a matter which should not have concerned them. The fact that their participation did not affect the outcome is irrelevant.

Is it a problem which is being highlighted by all non-English MPs, or simply those in the Labour party? The latter certainly seem to have lost the concept of democracy.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I can't see a case for them casting a vote if it doesn't affect Scotland. They can, by all means contribute to the debate though - especially if it is something we have already implemented here and there is relevant information to contribute.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I can't see a case for them casting a vote if it doesn't affect Scotland.
    I don't quite agree there, but almost.

I don't see a case for them voting on issues which are devolved to the Scottish Executive. As they would then be voting on something which does not effect Scotland and on which other MPs don't have a vote on our Scottish position. Smoking is an excellent example.

However they should be allowed to vote on other (non devolved) matters which do not directly affect Scotland. They are after all MPs for the whole of the UK.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Of course they should...Britain is unified. Just consider the different countries as counties..

Next question will be, should Asians have the vote in England...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

Example - Education.

See, now thats my quandry...

I see the Justice of them not voting on "English" issues, and i believe most do this on a matter of principle anyway.

However... that would mean that "English Issues" would just about be controlled by the Conservatives. Granted, there is little difference between the Conservative Party and New Labour in England... it would still really piss most people off in the Labour Heartlands to see that the Party it elected couldnt control its own legislation.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if there was "Unofficial" pressure for the Scottish & Welsh MP's to vote in all these sessions...

The sooner the Scottish Parliament re-negotiates the Border as that marked out by Hadrian and THEN goes for full independance the better.... however if that Border isnt agreed, you can stay with those English Bastards in charge.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Excellent point RF, re the majority in the house sans the Scottish Labour MPs. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

Do you think the political affiliation outweighs the argument. Bearing in mind that this is only for those things which have been devolved to the Scottish Executive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Did the English MPs vote on whether Scotland should have it's own Parliament?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast