Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if...

hamm's Avatar evil piggy
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    ...Brokeback Mountain was a story the two main protagonists of which were women, rather than men?

Don't mind me...

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

I am treating this strictly as a matter of curiouslty, vid, but it is apparent you do not share my inquisitive attitude about the selectivity (or even whether such exists) with which this movie has been treated by Hollywood and the media.

You are fixated on the sensationalism you feel is exclusively caused by the "Christian Right".

I think you are entirely too preoccupied with religion in general, actually.
    Well which other groups are raising a hoo har ?

Why do you think "Hollywood and the media" are holding this film out? as oppose to how they treated other movie in the past.

So someone made a film about gay cowboys and by all accounts the acting was good and it was a well made movie.
    But apparently this means hollywood is out of touch with middle america. Does every movie have to capitulate to the views of middle america
    Did you have this inquisitive attitude about Gahndi, shakespear in love, schindlers list or lord of the rings ? Probably not. .............. I could be wrong.
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-01-2006 at 12:44 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    ...Brokeback Mountain was a story the two main protagonists of which were women, rather than men?

Having just re-read the story (I first read it about 5 years ago), and now observing the dynamic of it's marketing as a movie, and also being desirous of some sheer speculative effort by my forum buddies, I ask for your thoughts.
    the media would call it crap, just controversy and sex to sell tickets.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I still wouldn't go to the movie theater to watch it. It's a friggin love story.

The only way I possibly in this world would have gone is if it was a white woman and a black man set during slavery....and that would only be because of the setting and not the love story.

The hype for this movie would not have worked with 2 woman 'cause that is seen all the time in movies already and accepted more by society.

muchpl3 said there was even a damn jizz shot in the movie....an obvious attempt at being provocative.

(although it sounds like muchpl3 saw the director's cut special extreme edition at the special lisp members only screening in Al's Pleasure Cinemas )
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

I am treating this strictly as a matter of curiouslty, vid, but it is apparent you do not share my inquisitive attitude about the selectivity (or even whether such exists) with which this movie has been treated by Hollywood and the media.

You are fixated on the sensationalism you feel is exclusively caused by the "Christian Right".

I think you are entirely too preoccupied with religion in general, actually.
    Well which other groups are raising a hoo har ?

Why do you think "Hollywood and the media" are holding this film out? as oppose to how they treated other movie in the past.

So someone made a film about gay cowboys and by all accounts the acting was good and it was a well made movie.
    But apparently this means hollywood is out of touch with middle america. Does every movie have to capitulate to the views of middle america
    Did you have this inquisitive attitude about Gahndi, shakespear in love, schindlers list or lord of the rings ? Probably not. .............. I could be wrong.
    If you don't want to engage in speculation, ignore this thread.

Do you want to re-hash those movies?

Start your own thread, and I wll respond as you wish.

You're off the mark in this one.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    Clint made western movies
    after that there was no other choice than go to the extreme.

Will this movie kill american mens opinion of history vs manhood (aka spitoons etc)?

In relation to lesbo version - no

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

Ok
    J2: how would this movie be marketed if it were women and how would it be recieved by the audience

me: probably not much differently

J2: oh come on vid speculate

me: Well what part of the marketing are you talking about?

J2: I'm inquisitive attitude about the selectivity (or even whether such exists) with which this movie has been treated by Hollywood and the media.

Me: Has hollywood and the media treated this any differently at all compared to other movies? (insert examples of movie that got media and hollywood attention here) I note "certain groups" have, but not hollywood and the media.

j2: if you are not prepared to speculate fuck off.

I have yet to figure out why you think hollywood and the media is treating this "specially". I know why "certain groups" are and I am aware the media is reporting this. If you would care to enlighten me I may be in a better position to speculate as you desire.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

Ok
    J2: how would this movie be marketed if it were women and how would it be recieved by the audience

me: probably not much differently

J2: oh come on vid speculate

me: Well what part of the marketing are you talking about?

J2: I'm inquisitive attitude about the selectivity (or even whether such exists) with which this movie has been treated by Hollywood and the media.

Me: Has hollywood and the media treated this any differently at all compared to other movies? (insert examples of movie that got media and hollywood attention here) I note "certain groups" have, but not hollywood and the media.

j2: if you are not prepared to speculate fuck off.

I have yet to figure out why you think hollywood and the media is treating this "specially". I know why "certain groups" are and I am aware the media is reporting this. If you would care to enlighten me I may be in a better position to speculate as you desire.
    Congratulations on a whole post without reference to the "Christian Right".

You are progressing.

If you actually need it done, I will attempt to re-capitulate as you desire, but not tonight.

I'm gonna do my nightly housekeeping here and shuffle off to some horizontal happiness.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    This is just a wild stab in the dark as I haven't seen it, but are the plaudits not for good acting, a coherent love story (if you like that sort of thing) and a beautifully filmed movie.

It could be two girls but if they were pish actresses and the director forgot to take the lens cap off then it might not get such good write ups.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    This is just a wild stab in the dark as I haven't seen it, but are the plaudits not for good acting, a coherent love story (if you like that sort of thing) and a beautifully filmed movie.

It could be two girls but if they were pish actresses and the director forgot to take the lens cap off then it might not get such good write ups.
    Good point.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast