Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if...

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    This is just a wild stab in the dark as I haven't seen it, but are the plaudits not for good acting, a coherent love story (if you like that sort of thing) and a beautifully filmed movie.

It could be two girls but if they were pish actresses and the director forgot to take the lens cap off then it might not get such good write ups.
    Good point.
    yet
    Why do you think "Hollywood and the media" are holding this film out? as oppose to how they treated other movie in the past.

So someone made a film about gay cowboys and by all accounts the acting was good and it was a well made movie.
    gets me
    You're off the mark in this one.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    This is just a wild stab in the dark as I haven't seen it, but are the plaudits not for good acting, a coherent love story (if you like that sort of thing) and a beautifully filmed movie.

It could be two girls but if they were pish actresses and the director forgot to take the lens cap off then it might not get such good write ups.
    You still need the OMG Factor.

Would a man/woman love story (even with good acting, a coherent love story and a beautifully filmed movie), get the same attention?

Not only that, it's quite possible that the acting reviews get bumped a notch by critic because of the subject matter.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

Would a man/woman love story (even with good acting, a coherent love story and a beautifully filmed movie), get the same attention?

Not only that, it's quite possible that the acting reviews get bumped a notch by critic because of the subject matter.
    Possibly

A man/woman love story like, say, Love Story, has been done to death. So I suppose novelty value is an issue. The fact that is well done simply makes it easier to make the award in that case.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24

Possibly

A man/woman love story like, say, Love Story, has been done to death. So I suppose novelty value is an issue. The fact that is well done simply makes it easier to make the award in that case.
    Oh and some were just looking for a reason.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

Good point.
    yet
    Why do you think "Hollywood and the media" are holding this film out? as oppose to how they treated other movie in the past.

So someone made a film about gay cowboys and by all accounts the acting was good and it was a well made movie.
    gets me
    You're off the mark in this one.
    Biggles speculated.

You did not.

It's just that simple.

I'll try to quickly re-formulate the post to clarify for you, in the interest of fairness, but you must put both feet back on the ground and start fresh yourself:

There is a movie in the works called Brokeback Hollow, about two women who experience latent urgings and consummate this in the required physical manner whilst ostensibly engaged in a semi-solitary activity; say, seasonal cultivation of a planting of the Midnight Lotus, or some such.

What would your marketing strategy be?

Remember, you must win a minimum of, oh...three Oscars.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes

Possibly

Oh and some were just looking for a reason.
    There is always an element of politics in any award.

Edit: A bad movie will not win an oscar - but that doesn't necessarily mean the "best" movie will win either
    Last edited by Biggles; 03-01-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    There is a movie in the works called Brokeback Hollow, about two women who experience latent urgings and consummate this in the required physical manner whilst ostensibly engaged in a semi-solitary activity; say, seasonal cultivation of a planting of the Midnight Lotus, or some such.
    Why man, why?

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Possibly

A man/woman love story like, say, Love Story, has been done to death. So I suppose novelty value is an issue.
    Okay; confession time-this is basically what I was after, as the point of discussion.

Love stories have been done to death.

Was the compulsion to make a love story, and lo, Brokeback... is the first thing over the transom, OR-

Is the compulsion first and foremost to make a ground-breaking movie about homosexuality, using the "love story" aspect as the vehicle?

This movie has been in the works for about five years, I gather, and from the point it was a going concern (about four years ago) the relevant chatter was of nothing but Oscar! Oscar! Oscar!

I don't even have a problem with it winning Oscars, strictly on it's merit, but a careful examination of the whole process seems to reveal the goal was purely to win an Oscar for a movie with this content, rather than to make a great movie with this content in the hope of winning an Oscar.

Get it?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I have seen this movie, and it really is a very good film.

I also think that if there were an equivilent movie made with two women, it probably would generate a similar response. Perhaps more guys would go see it because of the "hawt lesbos," but the same groups making a fuss over it being two men would make the same fuss over it being two women.

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (which won two Oscars) was equally controversial in its time, since interracial couplings were not widely accepted.

I can't claim to have been following Brokeback Mountain for five years though, and it's had very little marketing up here, so I can't really comment on that aspect.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Tweedy old crow
    Surely the only reason this movie got so much attention is the fact that male same sex experiences are viewed by the majority of half of the population ( I.e., the male part) as out of bounds.

I can't think of a single girl that has any objections to female same sex activity, whether they be lesbian, bisexual or straight.

When I speak to any of my male friends, including my boyfriend and a collection of ex-boyfriends most of them found the idea of male same sex activity repulsive. Even the ones I dated that were bisexual, did not want to WATCH any such thing despite having no objections in participating in such actions.

It's just another taboo out of the way, that's what I say

( did you like the way I made my conclusion rhyme there?)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast