Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky1
    Surely the only reason this movie got so much attention is the fact that male same sex experiences are viewed by the majority of half of the population ( I.e., the male part) as out of bounds.

I can't think of a single girl that has any objections to female same sex activity, whether they be lesbian, bisexual or straight.

When I speak to any of my male friends, including my boyfriend and a collection of ex-boyfriends most of them found the idea of male same sex activity repulsive. Even the ones I dated that were bisexual, did not want to WATCH any such thing despite having no objections in participating in such actions.

It's just another taboo out of the way, that's what I say

( did you like the way I made my conclusion rhyme there?)
    A good rhyme, that.

In what way, though, is it (as a taboo) "out of the way"?

You touch on another point which strikes me; one that enters my mind, and, I suspect, most other straight males:

While I do not have a problem associating and/or interacting with gays (I find them, almost without exception, to be very genuine, and entertaining and creative into the bargain), I don't care to imagine them engaging in sexual activity, nor do I see this as necessary in order to accept them, yet that seems to be the very thing the gay "lobby" desires of the straight community.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    While I do not have a problem associating and/or interacting with gays (I find them, almost without exception, to be very genuine, and entertaining and creative into the bargain), I don't care to imagine them engaging in sexual activity, nor do I see this as necessary in order to accept them, yet that seems to be the very thing the gay "lobby" desires of the straight community.
    Why do you think that ?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Why do you think that ?
    I has been my experience that perhaps....oh, say, less than 10% of the gays I've known are of the "flaming" variety, evincing all of the flamboyance and behaviors heretofore regarded as stereotypical.

Now, if such characteristics are not the norm among gays, why is it that either these characteristics or the sexual behaviors inherent in the lifestyle constitute the bulk of the lobby's presentation?

It's the same phenomenon that allows us to be aware the Log Cabin Republicans exist, but also ensures the spotlight never illuminates them.

The lobby chooses the most narrow and stereotypical image, and dares middle America to deny them, to the overall detriment of their cause.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    what has any of that to do with

I don't care to imagine them engaging in sexual activity, nor do I see this as necessary in order to accept them

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    what has any of that to do with

I don't care to imagine them engaging in sexual activity, nor do I see this as necessary in order to accept them
    Well, it may not occur to you, vid, but i accept you on my terms, not on yours, and I'm sure you'd say the same of me.

This is more-or-less true of everyone, everywhere, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If the gay lobby wants larger society to accept the gay lifestyle, why stress all the ways they are different in order to accomplish this?

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    I doubt you would change your personality "to be accepted". You do of course hit the problematic nail squarely on the head.

"If you want to be accepted stop being you"

This is not acceptance and the only correct response should be a big F**k you.

But then when I see or hear a camp gay person I don't feel the need to imagine him having sex and I doubt they wish that I did.
    Last edited by vidcc; 03-03-2006 at 12:55 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Poster
    If the gay lobby wants larger society to accept the gay lifestyle, why stress all the ways they are different in order to accomplish this?[/QUOTE]

Your point here, which I feel is a good one, J2, led me to thinking of the fight for female rights. I don't feel females stressed their differences to obtain the rights they have.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    tantric's Avatar ▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    I don't feel females stressed their differences to obtain the rights they have.
    Nor were they encouraged to hide the fact they were female in order for society to accept them.

At least I've never heard of a "closet female".
    Though it seems a likely place to find one.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Tweedy old crow
    I mean ' a taboo out of the way' as in;
    There is no desire to see men having a sexual relationship, in fact, most men I know find it disturbing in one way or another and would frown upon anything alike shown freely on television.

As for that same issue that most men don't like the idea of two men having intercourse and the gay community wanting exactly that...

I'm not too sure about that one, but maybe it's some sort of objection to modern sexism. After all, no one would object to seeing some girl on girl action, so why shouldn't we watch men on men action as well?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    hamm's Avatar evil piggy
    Cuz it's just icky.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast