Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What if...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...Brokeback Mountain was a story the two main protagonists of which were women, rather than men?

Having just re-read the story (I first read it about 5 years ago), and now observing the dynamic of it's marketing as a movie, and also being desirous of some sheer speculative effort by my forum buddies, I ask for your thoughts.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I still wouldn't watch it. Only because it just seems a dull movie.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I still wouldn't watch it. Only because it just seems a dull movie.
    Have you an opinion on whether a similar marketing effort would have been expended, or how such a movie might be received by the movie-going public?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'd see it, if there was some hawt secks, and the ladies were sexy.

Otherwise - meh.

Boring stuff.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    what part of the marketing are you concerned with?

probably slightly more people (well men) would be more comfortable watching 2 women kissing, but IMO those that are morally objecting to the format as is probably wouldn't give a darn if women replaced men.

The christian right have probably helped this movie no end.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Sorry, I haven't read it.

So changing the gender of the main characters makes little difference to me.

If you want total speculative efforts can I suggest that it would not have worked so well. In the current climate same sex burd on burd action is seen as lascivious. Whereas same sex man on man action is seen as artistic (in the mainstream, obviousement). So the popular bourgeoisie dollar would go to watching the "artistic" poofery, rather than the lesboid action.

It's a "liberal" backlash, if that's not too oxymoronic in the current climate.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    what part of the marketing are you concerned with?

probably slightly more people (well men) would be more comfortable watching 2 women kissing, but IMO those that are morally objecting to the format as is probably wouldn't give a darn if women replaced men.

The christian right have probably helped this movie no end.
    Given it has not actually attracted record numbers, I'd reckon those numbers would be even lower if it was about women.

What kind of sales-job would have to be done to make that work?

I mean, the story had to be about shepherds in order to create the premise two men would be in a situation of isolation.

I don't know that females are attracted to that particular activity in sufficient numbers to lend credibility; what might females do that would leave them similarly situated?

Extremely attractive women would be a stretch, too.

How would Hollywood do it?

This is why I started the thread, vid: speculate!

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    The location is probably of no issue, it could have just as easily be located in a big city. even with all those people there are many that are literally alone. Titanic was a love story, but one can only run so far with two people meeting and "getting it on", so films need a setting to make it seem like a new film that differs from all the others. Brokeback tried to make the love story itself the difference. Let's face it the only reason the film is being given such scrutiny is because it involves homosexuals, and that in itself gets the christian right shouting "agenda agenda"

So is the thread about marketing or suggesting that an agenda is being pushed by hollywood?
    I don't get the theory or objections made about hollywood trying to force an agenda. The reason being, it's a film, nobody is being forced to go see it, so how is anything being "forced upon us" ?

On the bit about it not making record numbers as a guide to success, I find it odd that this is never used as an issue with the vast majority of movies which don't hit the " blockbuster" status. Nobody ever says "america is not ready for this kind of movie" when a film about a dog getting lost and finding home again doesn't break box office records.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i'd probably watch it, if they changed the pooflords to women.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    The location is probably of no issue, it could have just as easily be located in a big city. even with all those people there are many that are literally alone. Titanic was a love story, but one can only run so far with two people meeting and "getting it on", so films need a setting to make it seem like a new film that differs from all the others. Brokeback tried to make the love story itself the difference. Let's face it the only reason the film is being given such scrutiny is because it involves homosexuals, and that in itself gets the christian right shouting "agenda agenda"

So is the thread about marketing or suggesting that an agenda is being pushed by hollywood?
    I don't get the theory or objections made about hollywood trying to force an agenda. The reason being, it's a film, nobody is being forced to go see it, so how is anything being "forced upon us" ?

On the bit about it not making record numbers as a guide to success, I find it odd that this is never used as an issue with the vast majority of movies which don't hit the " blockbuster" status. Nobody ever says "america is not ready for this kind of movie" when a film about a dog getting lost and finding home again doesn't break box office records.

I am treating this strictly as a matter of curiouslty, vid, but it is apparent you do not share my inquisitive attitude about the selectivity (or even whether such exists) with which this movie has been treated by Hollywood and the media.

You are fixated on the sensationalism you feel is exclusively caused by the "Christian Right".

I think you are entirely too preoccupied with religion in general, actually.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast