Thread: DVDRs.net Next to Go

[news=http://www.slyck.com/newspics/mpaapirate27wx.jpg]It was unusual for the MPAA to strike against Usenet (Newsgroup) indexing sites, as their importance has always been seen as minor compared to BitTorrent and eDonkey2000. Perhaps two years ago this notion would have been true; however two years might as well be two hundred years when we're discussing Internet technology.

Usenet has shifted from being a relatively obscure player to a significant content resource. The key reason for Usenet's advance into mainstream file-sharing is the growing ease in obtaining files from this medium.

Several years ago, Usenet was reserved for a more advanced crowd of Internet citizens. It took work to shuffle through individual Newsgroups (ie, alt.binaries.dvd, alt.binaries.dvdr, etc.) to find material. It was necessary to download hundreds, if not thousands of "headers" - or messages posted to the Newsgroup server. The end user had to then download the headers, and assemble the archive. The archive is a group of compressed files, which when assembled yields the requested media file.

Unless you're familiar with Newsgroups, the above paragraph probably didn't make much sense. And that was enough to keep the mainstream audience at bay. PAR and NZB files changed all that.

PAR files, or Parity files, are considered God's gift to the Newsgroups. Their basic function is to reassemble an archive that may have several missing or damaged files. In the past, if an archive had just one file damaged, the entire download was lost. Par files mathematically calculate the missing binary code and reassemble (or repair) the damaged files.

The most important advancement to the Newsgroups was the advent of NZB (Newzbin) files. NZB files completely eliminate the confusing and deterring steps pointed out in the above paragraphs, and streamlines Newsgroup downloading. The NZB file tells the Usenet client in which Newsgroup the requested file archive is located and which headers to download. Simply put, NZB files allow even the most inept of individuals to point, click and download the file he or she desires.

Further facilitating the Newsgroups migration to simplicity are indexing sites such as DVDRs.net. Like BitTorrent or eDonkey2000 indexing sites, Newsgroup indexing sites act as a catalog for available files. Instead of hosting .torrent files or hash links, Newsgroup indexing sites index NZB files. Throw in a search engine, and its Newsgroups made easy.

Unfortunately for such indexers, the entertainment industry has caught on to this growing trend towards simplicity. Last week, the MPAA cited NZB-Zone.com, BinNews.com and DVDRs.net as the first Usenet indexing websites targeted in their online copyright war. Like ED2K-It.com, the complainants contend DVDRs.com is liable for inducing, contributory, and vicariously enabling copyright infringement.

"The blatant infringements made possible by using Defendants’ website are obvious – and are well-known to and encouraged by Defendants. Anyone who visits the website, including Defendants themselves, can immediately observe the site’s catalog of infringing files."

The seemingly impossible odds, especially in the American file-sharing climate, appear to give the DVDRs.net administration little choice but to discontinue the existence of their site. The administration plans on launching a new site, dubbed "Talk DVD", however any connotation to file-sharing or NZB files will be left in the past. From DVDRs.net's administrator "Descds":

"To this end we feel its time to drop reference to Usenet entirely. We understand that this may be seen as defeat or guilt by some parties but we feel its more about compliance and adaptivity. If a governing body feel that what we do is illegal we wish no part of it and will show willingness to comply by removing areas that may be in dispute. This isn't about acceptance of guilt, this is about removing anything that people deem offensive.

"DVDRS will reach its final evolvement and we hope you understand why and where we are heading. We also understand that DVDRS will always be seen, in light of recent press, as a site that dealt in illegal file sharing. We feel there is no way we can recover from this and thus will re-launch Talk DVD with some of DVDRS database and ideas. This decision has not come easy for us and it pains us to do so."

A timetable for the launch of Talk DVD has not been announced. To what extent this mitigates DVDRs.net's current legal situation remains to be seen, yet underscores the significance of the Newsgroups.

Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1114[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Hmm, yeah.. that blows..

Hey, At NewsHosting's contact page it seems that they are located in Florida, USA so cant they be easily shutdown? Its a central server in US so i would think they would be like the first to go down.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by erRor67
    Hmm, yeah.. that blows..

Hey, At NewsHosting's contact page it seems that they are located in Florida, USA so cant they be easily shutdown? Its a central server in US so i would think they would be like the first to go down.
    giving ideas, eh?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    [news=http://www.slyck.com/newspics/mpaapirate27wx.jpg]Copied from DVDRS.NET:
    Many are now aware that the MPAA have filed a lawsuit against us regards the indexing parts of the site. We have expressed and believe that these sections are not illegal and have tried to work with the MPAA to a satisfactory resolve. The MPAA however have failed to respond to our requests and we feel we must act on this situation ourselves.

DVDRS has been evolving for sometime and has been steadily moving away from its initial purpose. Indexing Usenet is still a part of the site granted, but we are now far more than that with in depth articles on DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W, DVD+R DL, DVDRAM, BLU-RAY and HD DVD media, software and hardware technology We also have a healthy movie, game and hardware review section as well as active news. Our forums are also more about technology than Usenet.

To this end we feel its time to drop reference to Usenet entirely. We understand that this may be seen as defeat or guilt by some parties but we feel its more about compliance and adaptivity. If a governing body feel that what we do is illegal we wish no part of it and will show willingness to comply by removing areas that may be in dispute. This isn't about acceptance of guilt, this is about removing anything that people deem offensive.

DVDRS will reach its final evolvement and we hope you understand why and where we are heading. We also understand that DVDRS will always be seen, in light of recent press, as a site that dealt in illegal file sharing. We feel there is no way we can recover from this and thus will re-launch Talk DVD with some of DVDRS database and ideas. This decision has not come easy for us and it pains us to do so.

We understand many members will not appreciate these changes and all we can do is apologize. As a site we must evolve and hope you can likewise do so. If you do not wish to be a part of these new changes we hope you will vote with your feet and not your negative opinions. What we do now is for the good of the site and any negativity will only result in instant removal. Any site that wishes to slam or slander us may do so willingly, we will not fire any shots back and quite frankly are not interested in your adverse opinions.

I have to confess that the site has caused my family a huge amount of stress over the last year. We have had many issues to deal with and the recent lawsuit is the final action that has decided our course.

“I am a family man and this is not a business, i cannot take the fight to anyone without fear of risk. Money has changed hands but remember i have always invested this back into the site. If you feel i have got rich from these dealings i feel for you, however many will see that this simply wasn't the case. Granted some will not be happy about that but at the end of the day this is a hobbyist site and one i enjoy working with. Talk DVD will feature the same morals and goals as DVDRS and we will re-invent and invest a huge amount of time in sections there to make us a fun, friendly place to be.

We will move the site to that location, streamline the member base to active membership and hopefully develop as time permits. We hope that you see our actions as the only recourse and that we feel passionately enough about what we do to try and evolve.”

The site will be closed for restructure. All reference to Usenet will be removed, the logo adapted (its a long time coming anyway) and NZB indexing sections dropped.

We will prune our membership database and remove any inactive member who have not logged the site for 6 months. Members who are still active and wish to be removed after this time will be allowed to submit a request for their account to be terminated.

Site supporters will still have all benefits of their donations minus the NZB section and Usenet reviews. We will not issue any refunds under the grounds of our TOS and no funds to do so :-

Homepage: Home Page[/news]
    Last edited by tesco; 03-02-2006 at 03:18 PM.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Why was this merged?
    Now it's otn seen on the front page.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Why was this merged?
    Now it's otn seen on the front page.
    It all really could go under "Another One Bites The Dust Part Deux".
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Carcinus's Avatar Procrastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by erRor67
    Hmm, yeah.. that blows..

NewsHosting are not an indexing site.