Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparison How mych to call a mobile phone

Hi Guys

Here in New Zealand many of us feel we are being ripped off by our local telco for its charges to call a mobile phone from a landline.

I am hoping to get some comparsions from other countries so I can write a letter to our telecoms regulator / commission.

The price to call a mobile phone from a landline phone has been the same since mobile phones first came out in the late 80's !

I would like you to list the cost of a land line per month and the normal peak time charge to call a mobile phone. Please mention what country you are in and the name of your telco. Please use your own local currency and I will convert it into US dollars in chart format so that we can all compare easily.

Here in New Zealand our monthly landline rental gives users unlimited free local (ie in our own city) telephone calls which I think is a little unusual. I understand that most telcos charge for all calls, that is local (in your city), National tolls (ie to elsewhere in your own country, and International (ie tolls to other countries).

Here is my listing

New Zealand. Telecom Rental NZ$ 51.24 To call mobile .79 cents

I would like a few listings from the US, UK, Europe and Asia.

Thank you

Regards

Digby
    NZ

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, they don't charge extra here to call a mobile from a landline, and unlimited free local calling. I don't remember how much a landline costs...I haven't had one for some years now. Somewhere in the neighbourhood of $20-$30, maybe? Would be Telus in Canada, at any rate.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Australian line rental is now AUD$33.35, (NZ$37.68). We get nothing for that.

Calls to mobiles are pretty much the same, around AUS$0.38, (NZ$0.43).

Mobile phone deals are so cheap now l don't make calls on the landline phone unless it's local. l have two sim cards in my phone so l can pick and choose good deals. Unfortunately Telstra own all the landlines and we need them for internet access.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Ours is quite simple.

Local is included in the monthly cost. If you call a local mobile number, it's a local call.

Washington DC is 202 XXX-XXXX. A call to a 202 XXX-XXXX mobile number is the same as calling to a house in DC.

Now if you call a 212 XXX-XXXX number (New York) then toll charges apply as if you called a New York home number.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I pay £35(600US$) a month for 300 minutes of free calls to any number at any time, I also get 500 free texts.

And it is/was half price for the first 4 months

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    I pay $25 (50p) for 2000 minutes anytime no matter local or long distance. Also get 1000 text messages.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    In Sweden I pay a monthly fee of 112 SEK i think and that is for the phoneline. Then I pay 0.30 SEK open fee per call and around 1.50 SEK / min to cellphones. I call with Universal Telecom, www.uvtc.com.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I pay £35(600US$) a month for 300 minutes of free calls to any number at any time, I also get 500 free texts.

That's all great, BamB, but the topic starter is looking for landline rates.

Thanks for sharing though. Really.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB

That's all great, BamB, but the topic starter is looking for landline rates.

Thanks for sharing though. Really.
    Having a landline is so last century....

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Hi guys.

Thanks for your replies so far.

But as Heavy Metal says most of them do not answer my question exactly.

I need to know how much you pay for a landline in your local currency. What country you are in, the name of your Telco and how much it is to call a mobile phone from your landline at peak time rates.

I know that many people are giving up their land lines and going mobile, but my question is more from a small business point of view where you have a small office and need a landline for say PABX's, Internet connection and fax machines. Then when you need to contact customers who are on mobiles you get hit with very high calling rates (or we do here in NZ)

Thank guys, so if you can tweak you answers a bit for me that would be great.

Regards

Digby
    NZ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast