Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How safe are we.

I use newhosting and never had a problem with them.I heard they dont keep logs of what u grab after 24 hrs but surely anything we grab is easy suzzed by our own ISPs keeping logs so just wondering what others think on this.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    In britain its pretty much illegal for isp's to reveal what you have been downloading to anyone without a court order. Im pretty sure its the same in the usa but i might be wrong.

There really is no way for the riaa, mpaa or anyone else to see what you are downloading off usenet so you are safe.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    cheers m8 cause it was bugging me a bit.Also im in the UK

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    In britain its pretty much illegal for isp's to reveal what you have been downloading to anyone without a court order. Im pretty sure its the same in the usa but i might be wrong.
    i got a email off my isp a few years back about something iv downloaded,but that was over torrents and with the black listed port.

wasnt spam or anything else like that eather, it had the film name and i never used the isp email anywhere be4 so no way of any sites been able to fake it

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    @cryco the question was related to newsgroups. torrents work by giving out information on what the ip adresses of the peers are and what chunks of the file they have. its very easy for the riaa, mpaa or anyone else to catch you if your on torrent.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    yeah i got in trouble for downloading a tv episode from torrents awhile back and I got a letter and everything!

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Newsgroups are safe and nice. Got a bunch of letters and has been blacklisted etc. from several ISP's because of downloading but nothing more. That was when I used eMule though.

Nice to have the "safety" of newsgroups because then we are keeping up the pressure without having to worry about anything

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    lemonjello
    Downloading isn't going to get you in trouble. Downloading in itself is a grey area in DMCA and copyright laws.
    It is uploading and sharing that gets you in trouble. Bittorrent gives as much as it takes, as do most P2P programs, but with UseNet you are for the most part a strict leacher (well most users). It is the copying of X for redistribution that violates copyright laws, not the simple downloading for personal viewing.

Also, UseNet is tough to use for most users. That, coupled with the costs deters the casual user from using it. The RIAA and MPAA and **AA want to stop and catch and fine and abort the casual users.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Oops... meant uploading hehe.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I got letters using both emule and bit torrent which is why I made the switch to the newsgroups. I even got a kick for a while from using my isp's own news servers before I got smart and signed up with newshosting. I've yet to have a problem using the newsgroups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast