Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May be time to stop using uTorrent?

Its magic baby!
    According to a statement by PeerFactor, the lead developer of µTorrent, Ludvig Strigeus, has agreed to help develop “new content distribution applications on the Web”.

The developer has signed a contract with PeerFactor for an initial six month evaluation period.

Since the public release of uTorrent in September, the client has risen to the number one spot on Slyck’s list of BitTorrent clients for Windows, as voted by users. This is mostly due to the tiny memory usage, which is around 6MB, compared to second most popular, Azureus, which is typically over 70MB. Yet uTorrent remains feature-rich.

By developing the PeerFactor software, which uses the BitTorrent protocol, Strigeus will be entitled to a share of any advertising revenue generated by the final product.

This move into the authorised distribution market is a step away from anti-P2P technology for PeerFactor, which was a subsidiary of French anti-piracy group RetSpan. The two companies became independent companies six months ago.

Full info here.
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t113031.html
    Wiz.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've never even used uTorrent. I always just use BitComet. Is there really that much of a difference?

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Its magic baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I've never even used uTorrent. I always just use BitComet. Is there really that much of a difference?
    Bitcomet is banned on alot of private trackers, i never tried it myself used azurues for a long time and abc before that. uTorrent is light and doesn't use up to much ram and i find the speeds are slightly higher than in azurues... I have both installed so i think i will wait a bit before choosing between them.

If the generally community think this is a problem uTorrent may start getting banned on PT's also so i guess we just wait and see
    Wiz.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Music Fascist BT Rep: +1
    I did use utorrent for a while but it seemed to miss some seeds that azureus picked up fine even tho it was run only a few seconds later than when i closed utorrent.

couldnt figure out how to only download part of a torrent which is what made me stop using it in the end and go back to azureus.

I dont really see why utorrent making money by helping PeerFactor is a problem, they are just a company out to make money afterall. Who knows maybe the extra money will be put towards making utorrent and even better program

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    uTorrents works just fine for me and an will keep on using it. It lacks som features that azureus have, but i can live without them.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    4096/1024kbps
    No!

Before we contribute further to this big conspiracy theory, read the notice posted at the official uTorrent site.

http://utorrent.com/#notice

I can't believe all the negative comments.
    uTorrent itself is in no way affiliated with any anti-piracy organisation.
    Such BS.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Its magic baby!
    chill dude i never said we 'should' stop using it, i am still using it right now. it's just good to know all the facts
    Wiz.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I've been using uTorrent for a couple of months because Azureus was totally bogging down my system. Looks like they have a brand new version too.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    I like uTorrent alot better than azureus, I used Azureus not very long because of the ridiculous amount of memory usage. But I like uTorrent alot. And the update is pretty good aswell.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    utorrent is de best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast