View Poll Results: Is the Lounge Witty or Insulting? YOU DECIDE!

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes its awful, and puts me off this place

9 18.37%
  • Its not too bad, I can handle it

9 18.37%
  • I hadn’t noticed

4 8.16%
  • I think its funny

10 20.41%
  • Geptards Rod! Yeah!

4 8.16%
  • Feckin’ manker

13 26.53%
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Lounge Witty or Insulting? YOU DECIDE!

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    What's a Welsh mod, does it make the forum more phlegmatic.

Warning, play on words above.

To those who don't understand I'm using the word phlegmatic, because the Welsh language requires a lot of phlegm (having a good natured pop at my Welsh friends there). However the word phlegmatic actually means lacking in emotion. So I'm having a pop (good natured again) at the way the Welsh speak, whilst at the same time suggesting the admin have changed the board to make it lacking in emotional content.

At the same time I am totally and deliberately misunderstanding the obvious meaning of the original poster, which was to express mock shock at a Welshman being mad a moderator.

How's that work for you, NewMod.
    That's one of the first of your posts I understood, but only 'causeyou explained it.

2. Lounge   -   #92
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    That line is when someone takes personal offense at what you've said.
    I take personal offence at your last post, ergo you have crossed "the line".

Pish.

Basically it comes down to a decision of the people here:

1/ Continue basically as the lounge is; unfettered by un-necessary Modding and laid back unless specific Rules are broken.

2/ MODS getting actively involved in the way the lounge is running, closing threads un-necessarily through misunderstanding and the odd complaint or removing them altogether following the spirit of the rules...including the harrasment parts etc..

As option 2/ would involve loads of PM's, possibly Moderations, i LIKE the way the interaction of characters/conversations in here develope and it'd also turn the lounge into a graveyard again. I'd prefer option 1.

Besides, option 2/ sounds too much like work and im a lazy bastard.

The Price for option 1? A little bit of common decency... dont take the piss out of/insult people that either dont understand the humour and take offense or dont want to be involved in that type of humour.

Wheres the controversy?
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 03-11-2006 at 11:37 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. Lounge   -   #93
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Option 1 FOR PRESIDENT!!

4. Lounge   -   #94
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    last time this came up, we made the drawing room

5. Lounge   -   #95
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins
    last time this came up, we made the drawing room
    nooooo......... that was for people that wanted to talk about a subject seriously.

This is not... its about treating people with respect if they are not in the mood/dont understand the joke/take personal offense at a particular post.

We DO NOT want to "calm you down" generally with each other... just to understand and keep in mind that others sometimes do not see the joke and take it seriously.

If that happens, say sorry and move on...dont compound it by taking the piss more. Its up to them to let you or a Mod know they have taken offense or whatever. Its upto you to apologise.

Remember that there are cultural/religious/moral and just about every other difference on here.. not everyone will get the joke.

Lets get this into perspective here

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. Lounge   -   #96
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I take personal offence at your last post, ergo you have crossed "the line".

Pish.

1/ Continue basically as the lounge is; unfettered by un-necessary Modding and laid back unless specific Rules are broken.

2/ MODS getting actively involved in the way the lounge is running, closing threads un-necessarily through misunderstanding and the odd complaint or removing them altogether following the spirit of the rules...including the harrasment parts etc..

As option 2/ would involve loads of PM's, possibly Moderations, i LIKE the way the interaction of characters/conversations in here develope and it'd also turn the lounge into a graveyard again. I'd prefer option 1.

The Price for option 1? A little bit of common decency... dont take the piss out of/insult people that either dont understand the humour and take offense or dont want to be involved in that type of humour.

Wheres the controversy?
    There's to be a misunderstanding as to whether anyone outside od bratland understands rodding. There is a difference between rodding and trolling.

rodding - (manker recently had a good one for a rod) "You can't freeze saltwater, pneubs."
    Now I thought that a poor attempt at rodding yet it did catch someone.

trolling - "Chewie is an idiot and his mouth and ass are interchangeable."

It's really quite simple. Everyone isn't going to say "haha". Trollers know that.
    My remedy is to do the same back in almost all cases. Folks on here deliberately cross the line unprovoked all the time then claim it as rodding. They don't care if they did cross the line or not. I treat it the same either way.

Is this something new?

As far as in-jokes, I wouldn't joke with my boys with jovial insults and say the same to a stranger walking by. Maybe that is an American thing. There are consequences and repercussions.
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-12-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #97
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened

Yeah, we know all that, and if it weren't for all the help you get from the long-timers, laziness wouldn't be an option.

We got by without you for these last couple months and things have been fine.

Be as lazy as you please, Brother Rat...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #98
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Rodding = deliberately posting something for someone to react to. It is not simply taking the pish out of another forum member. The rod has been much maligned by peons who don't understand the subtlety of it's use..
    I had in mind the 'best county' thread where the new Welsh member waded in after the 'Wales has no counties' bit.
    I had thought it bait and let it be.

Thank's for your compliment on my apostrophe usage BTW.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Lounge   -   #99
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    I voted for "Yes its awful, and puts me off this place."

Lately I just try and stay away from the lounge. =/

10. Lounge   -   #100
    Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    On the plus side, at least it's pushing members to explore the many other subforums we have here.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast