Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In The Interest Of Fairness

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Hmmm... Then it's the "In the interest of fairness" that I don't get. Turning the table, where is the fairness in the lounge for everyone else to participate?

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

You bring up the topic of fairness in the lounge. At times, you seem to forget about fairness, respect and courtesy. The lounge is not an exclusive area for any select crowd. That's why sports and british humour have a place to a small extent but beyond that becomes inappropriate.

That is in the interest of fairness.

If your not interested in a jokey thread about a british sport, then don't participate in it. I'm not trying to exclude anyone. Join in if you want, the more the merrier. Don't join in if you don't want. I just want to have a laugh, with mates, about a common interest. It really isn't a problem for anyone else, if you don't want to be part of it, cool

I don't participate in threads about loads of things, but I'm not so petty as to try stopping other people joking about whatever they want. To each their own.

If you want to start another thread about how people interact in the Lounge, please feel free to do so. sArA already made one, but you might want a serious one here, as the Lounge is just for a laugh.

This thread is about the type of topics which are allowed in the Lounge. Not about whether people get on or not. So I would appreciate it if you stopped spamming it. I wouldn't want to be a saddo and have to report you for doing something that I didn't approve of.
    Last edited by JPaul; 03-12-2006 at 08:58 PM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    In the interest of fairness ... Hmm I have a crazy Idea why not make a forum mod out of one of the lounge members ? I see we have them for all the other forums and they seem to do well .

Mabye I'm talking out of my hat but that seems fair , not just bogus power but full tools to let him or her moderate the lounge . Just a thought as I'm sure there wont be many takers . Or at least the tools to sit in with the group sessions .

Or as my granny used to say " If you can't beat them join them "
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-12-2006 at 09:26 PM.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    In the interest of fairness ... Hmm I have a crazy Idea why not make a forum mod out of one of the lounge members ? I see we have them for all the other forums and they seem to do well .

Mabye I'm talking out of my hat but that seems fair , not just bogus power but full tools to let him or her moderate the lounge . Just a thought as I'm sure there wont be many takers . Or at least the tools to sit in with the group sessions .

Or as my granny used to say " If you can't beat them join them "
    We don't really need any moderators for the Lounge, defiently not a Lounge-specific Mod. Moderators are really just glorified caretakers anyhow, they tidy up any mess made in the other forums. Moving misplaced threads, removing spam and sometimes becoming like dinner-ladies to resolves disputes.

The Lounge is like the room they doesn't need to be tidied up, where the kids are allowed to roam free. The only time we need a caretaker (or dinner-lady) in there is if someone does something extreme like tries to burn the place down or there's some roadkill to be scraped off the floor.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    I agree we don't need mods in the Lounge, unless it gets a wee bit mental. However nowadays a quick word from a decent spud (mostly sArA) sorts that out.

Bottom line is, we can talk about anything we want, so long as it doesn't break any rule. Or at least that's what it says, but apparently we can't now. Well I can't.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Was just a thought, my own by the way but the lounge is the biggest forum here in our little world . Must have grabbed a few new members you think ?

If this forum is a community hence the Lounge, who is anyone to break it up ?
    I personaly like it the way it is but have felt the slings and insults first hand , I got over it tho when I realiszed it was a bunch of buddies having fun .

Whats wrong with that .. half the time I read the joke or rod wrong anyway but not all do .

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    sooo no solutions yet.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Hmmm... Then it's the "In the interest of fairness" that I don't get. Turning the table, where is the fairness in the lounge for everyone else to participate?

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

You bring up the topic of fairness in the lounge. At times, you seem to forget about fairness, respect and courtesy. The lounge is not an exclusive area for any select crowd. That's why sports and british humour have a place to a small extent but beyond that becomes inappropriate.

That is in the interest of fairness.
    I do believe that you think the first post was a proposition.

It wasn't, it was a demonstration of how ridiculous it is to say that JPaul can't post jokey sports threads in the lounge.

You say about being specific and implying exclusion of others but surely, that is the nature of almost all lounge threads. Off the top of my head, I made a thread on chavs in my pub - immediately 80% of the forum is excluded because they don't know what a chav and/or a pub is. Busy made a thread about the spring weather in DC. Same deal.

I honestly think that JPaul has been victimised because of the way he's responded to comments made in the lounge sport threads.

Now, I'm absolutely sure that he won't give a flying feck and may find it funny but that's what's happened. This thread has demonstated that there is no way, at all, that this proposition (of jokey sport threads not being allowed in the longe) can be justified.

No way at all.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    It's actually more important than that.

To censor freedom of expression is poor. Tho' in some instances justifiable (IMO).

For those in power to do it when someone is actually playing by the rules and doing what they want is really shabby.

To do it to some people and not to others is nothing short of apartheid.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The door on the lounge says: Talk about anything.

As far as im concerned, you can talk about anything in there....just dont expect it to stay on Topic for more than 5 posts, and dont complain if it doesnt.

If the lounge terms have changed, i know nothing about it... and i'd expect the sign on the door to be changed before anyone enforces anything.

Disclaimer: If i see something i think may be of interest if talked about seriously, then i may move it....

...but there again, if the poster really wants it in the lounge to laugh at, i can copy it to wherever just as easily.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    The door on the lounge says: Talk about anything.

As far as im concerned, you can talk about anything in there....just dont expect it to stay on Topic for more than 5 posts, and dont complain if it doesnt.

If the lounge terms have changed, i know nothing about it... and i'd expect the sign on the door to be changed before anyone enforces anything.

Disclaimer: If i see something i think may be of interest if talked about seriously, then i may move it....

...but there again, if the poster really wants it in the lounge to laugh at, i can copy it to wherever just as easily.
    My feelings are pretty much the same here...

Btw....I don't know why, but every time I look at this thread's title, I see In the Interest of Fairies

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast