Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In The Interest Of Fairness

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I have been instructed not to start sport related threads in The Lounge.

Can you please post sports related topics in the Sports Club and not in the Lounge.

thnx
    A pleasent and polite instruction. To which I replied

OK, but I won't bother starting new sports threads if that's the case.

I post in Sports Club when I want a more serious discussion and in the Lounge when I just want a sports related laugh. That way it keeps a lot of possible pish out of Sports Club and people can have a good laugh in The Lounge, the threads proved popular sometimes.

I see it as being the same as keeping serious stuff in the Drawing Room and spam in the Lounge. I think you're wrong but what the hey, it's your forum. So your rules, sorry if I've caused any offence.
    I think you will agree that this is a perfectly amicable exchange, with no animosity between myself and the un-named board member.

However I must note that the description of the Lounge, enforced by the board members here is

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations, this is the original Off-Topic forum. Come on in and talk about absolutely anything (within our board rules).
    Given that we can talk about "anything" save that it does not break a rule and that I cannot see how discussing sports in a jokey manner breaks the rules, I am a loss to understand this instruction.

I will abide by what I have been told, however in the interests of fairness I must insist that the following things are also precluded from the Lounge;

Filesharing (in all it's forms)
    Movies
    Television
    Music
    Books
    Comics
    Hardware
    Software
    World Affairs
    Jokes
    The Internet
    Programming
    Games

I know this seems harsh, but I'm sure you'll agree it is only fair. Otherwise it would appear that I am being singled out for special treatment and I am absolutely certain that is not the case.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JPaul; 03-12-2006 at 11:48 AM.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    manker's Avatar effendi
    There's just no arguing with that.

Cap, doffed.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I agree. A lot more movie/tv-show threads than sports threads are started in the Lounge, it seems odd that no-one remarks on these.

Are the moderators getting bored lately? It seems so with some pettiness starting to creep in as of late. Leave the Lounge be, it's fine as it is.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It is kind of a fine line I'v seen Sports threads moved to the lounge because of jockularity . Just leave it the way it is thats what makes the lounge great .

Love your new Sig. kind of says it all.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    yes i agree but i wouldnt want all that stuff being removed.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It seems that JPaul is saying that a lot of subjects are in the lounge that belong in other sections of the board.

Is he really suggesting that they all should go where they belong and the lounge be closed for lack of content? This whole thread must be meant as british humour again and meant to throw us off.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    It seems that JPaul is saying that a lot of subjects are in the lounge that belong in other sections of the board.

Is he really suggesting that they all should go where they belong and the lounge be closed for lack of content? This whole thread must be meant as british humour again and meant to throw us off.
    No it's a serious point, which is why I put it here.

What I'm saying, as well you know, is that it is ridiculous to treat sport differently to anything else. If the Lounge is for "anything" as it's description states, then it is for anything.

If the argument is that things which have their own sections should not go in the Lounge, then all of the things I listed should go in their own sections.

But we don't want those sections spammed, so we have the Lounge.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Hmmm... Then it's the "In the interest of fairness" that I don't get. Turning the table, where is the fairness in the lounge for everyone else to participate?

Those obscure repeated threads on UK sports statistics exclude most uninitiated. We don't see threads about the other subjects you mentioned above so obscure as to exclude people not closely involved with the subject. Your targeted threads are specific and specialized enough to not belong in the lounge.

You bring up the topic of fairness in the lounge. At times, you seem to forget about fairness, respect and courtesy. The lounge is not an exclusive area for any select crowd. That's why sports and british humour have a place to a small extent but beyond that becomes inappropriate.

That is in the interest of fairness.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Are you now saying, that we can't post stuff the majority isn't interested in or doesn't understand?

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    I understand (and agree with) JP's point, and I'm not British....
    (don't see where nationality comes into play here, but oh well,
    perhaps it's because I'm not so narrow-minded as to give a damn about nationality)

if you exclude one, exclude them all, only fair

side note:
    you could have saved yourself some typing JP,
    and just made your exclusion list "*"
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast