Thread: Trouble after upgrading o/s

dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Pc was upgraded from xp home to xp pro, before the upgrade had no problems plugging in a camera or ipod.
    Now when cam or ipod are plugged in, the found new hardware bubble pops up saying what it's found(correctly), then it says the hardware installation failed and might not work properly.
    In "my computer" the cam or ipod appears as drive F and then disappears repeatedly with a warning sound each time.

Anyone know what's causing this problem?

Here's the pc, http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...75&t=1409&c=28

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    What service pack release have you installed?

Upgrading your OS removes all the SPs unless they are slipstreamed into your install disk. And if you haven't got at least SP1 then windows update isn't going to work either.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    What service pack release have you installed?

Upgrading your OS removes all the SPs unless they are slipstreamed into your install disk. And if you haven't got at least SP1 then windows update isn't going to work either.
    SP2 and update works.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Its been my experience that upgrading over an older OS usually comes with problems and often a slower PC. Now I do a fresh install to avoid those kinds of problems. If you have two hard drives its no problem to save your stuff to the slave drive and put it back after installation (I usually unplug the slave so there can be no mixup on which one its going to install to. Even if you have an upgrade version of XP Pro you can still do a clean install, it asks you to put in your home cd and enter the serial for it, then continues from there.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien
    Its been my experience that upgrading over an older OS usually comes with problems and often a slower PC. Now I do a fresh install to avoid those kinds of problems. If you have two hard drives its no problem to save your stuff to the slave drive and put it back after installation (I usually unplug the slave so there can be no mixup on which one its going to install to. Even if you have an upgrade version of XP Pro you can still do a clean install, it asks you to put in your home cd and enter the serial for it, then continues from there.
    Sorry, didn't word that correctly, shouldn't have said "upgraded"(even though that's what it was technically. lol), xp home was deleted and a fresh copy of xp pro was installed, found out today that a friend had exactly the same prob with xp pro so will reinstall xp home and see what happens.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Indeed. Windows can only run at it's peak with a fresh start. Upgrading over an older version is like tossing the new stuff on top of your old stuff. Not too clean.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Indeed. Windows can only run at it's peak with a fresh start. Upgrading over an older version is like tossing the new stuff on top of your old stuff. Not too clean.
    I learned that the hard way, and I'm so lazy that I don't feel like backing up all my info then doing a complete reformat and reinstall, but I'll do it tonight I've been dodging this for way too long.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Indeed. Windows can only run at it's peak with a fresh start. Upgrading over an older version is like tossing the new stuff on top of your old stuff. Not too clean. I've only did it once for someone, because they were extremely stubborn about it, but they did give me some $$$. Anyways, I had to resolve three big issues afterwards, including an internet connection with a School District the owner used. They originally had ME and I made it 2000. Took 40 minutes overtime to fix their job's software.

You have to reinstall some software anyways, so it makes sense to just save what you really need, Wipe that bastard 100% free, and slightly slow it down with a fresh OS that runs pretty damn fast for awhile. If you maintain it, then it'll stay fast for years to come.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 03-20-2006 at 03:26 AM.