Thread: Ipod -> Itunes, what's the deal anyway?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Having never owned an iPod I have no clue what iTunes really does.

I know that you use it to transfer music onto the iPod, but is there an alternative (if so, does it include all the features that iTunes has)?

And if there aren't any alternatives, I'm assuming iTunes still lets you copy w/e mp3's you have on your computer on to the iPod, right? It doesnt check for copyright or DRM or anything....?

I'm asking this because I want to know from people that have dealt with it, I'm doing a search on google, so far unsuccessful (probably using wrong phrases).

One last thing, the iPod Nano (i'm assuming someone on this board has one of those), iTunes apparently downloads album art and transfers it over when transferring mp3's/music, if an alternate software exists, does it also do that?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    you can use the latest version of Winamp (5.2.1) to transfer music to your ipod

I stopped using Itunes because it uses much more resources then Winamp does.

Don't think it's possible to transfer album art with Winamp.
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 03-19-2006 at 10:52 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    In a nutshell, iTunes is the default software that comes with any iPod that (in theory) will allow users to transfer music, or buy music online for 99 cents/song.

but...

iTunes is the Anti-Christ. You'll find there are a lot of others that agree.

I have a 4gb Nano and I transfer my music with a Winamp plug-in called 'ml_ipod' that will allow you to transfer music very easily. I'm not sure if this is what IKE is referring to, or if the newest version of Winamp has it built in by default.
    Last edited by Skizo; 03-19-2006 at 11:28 AM.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I think what he means is that once an Ipod user has paid to download a song from Itunes and it is on his 'puter, is it possible for other apps eg Winamp, Foobar to play the song and it is possible for him to copy the song to another drive or share it ?

I would like to know this also.

Regards

Digby

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I

I have a 4gb Nano and I transfer my music with a Winamp plug-in called 'ml_ipod' that will allow you to transfer music very easily. I'm not sure if this is what IKE is referring to, or if the newest version of Winamp has it built in by default.
    the latest version has a build in plugin for mp3 players.

didnt like the ml_ipod. (crashed alot)
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 03-19-2006 at 10:25 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Yes the newest version has that plugin pretty much built in and it is like Ituens you can just load the songs ont the iPod or eject to charge... only thing that I like of Winamp over iTuens = Skinnable...
    Credits to ChuNaku,Kazearashi,Kennethzzz,Kiyocchi,S4ku,Tanakachi and Tubster68:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Alright thanks guys

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I

the latest version has a build in plugin for mp3 players.

didnt like the ml_ipod. (crashed alot)
    Just thought i'd add, the latest version of ml_pod crashed a lot but the older version, i dn't remember what ver. number exactly, never crashed for me.

I use the built-in ipod support now.