Thread: Question about Bluetooth

Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    I have a Motorola V551 and it has Bluetooth capabilities. I was wondering if that means I can connect to another phone and transfer files back and forth, or does that only mean I can connect to one of those headset thingys?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    The former.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Also, you can get a USB bluetooth dongle so you can connect your phone to your PC, and transfer files back and forth, synchronise addressbooks, etc, blah blah blah.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    The restriction is that you can only transfer files that your phone recognises.

For instance, I've got a Windows Smartphone which can use wma files for ringtones. A Motorola phone doesn't understand wma ringtones so it won't accept those files (but mp3 files are ok).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    The thing is I can put a ROKR besides my phone and they wont read each other. When I press find me it wont find the other phone.

Thats my problem

In the search menu it only says search for headset, does that mean it can only do headsets?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk
    The thing is I can put a ROKR besides my phone and they wont read each other. When I press find me it wont find the other phone.

Thats my problem

In the search menu it only says search for headset, does that mean it can only do headsets?
    yes

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanuk

Thats my problem

I should think that's extremely unlikely.

That menu is probably just for connecting headsets, so there won't be any other options. General bluetooth options are on a different menu, I've seen it on a friend's phone.

One problem with Motorola's implementation of bluetooth is that it seems to go to sleep (in order to save power) if left unused for a while. I believe that turning bluetooth off, then back on will re-activate it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.