Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it actually worthwhile building your own PC any more.

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I've built several PCs in my time. It used to be that you could get a good quality machine at a great price by doing it that way.

However with the level of competition nowadays and the price of machines, is it actually worth doing any more.

Other than the sense of achievement that one gets by doing it. I'm talking purely saving money.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i think its worthwhile in the sense of getting what you want for a price you want, and not having to put up with shitty onboard graphics.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I guess you don't really save money right when buying it, but if you buy for eample a dell PC then if you wanted to upgrade it, chances are the case wouldn't be big enough first of all. The power supply in it might go, so you'd need to replace that. It might not have a pciexpress slot so you'd need to buy a new motherboard, etc.
    In that sense it would end up costing more money...

Plus if you build it yourself you can pick out quality parts that won't break.

Also there's the fact that if you keep upgrading your computer every few months instead of buying a whole new one every 2 or so years you'd probably save money and accumulate PCs that you can sell.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    As far as saving money...barely. It's more of an sense of achievement,as you
    mentioned. (plus, I like mucking about with electronic doo-hickeys.)

Peace bd

5. Lounge   -   #5
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Nowadays I tend to buy a good deal, close to what I want, then adapt it. e.g. buying a decent laptop then doubling the RAM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

well my PC sort of evolves
    i upgrade it one bit at a time, or two or three when i need to change the mobo. i suppose the fact that i can get exactly what i wanted makes it worth-while.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    building your own allows you to use used parts- my comp has an x800 256mb in it, and I paid $500 for it. it's because my x800 cost $125
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    If you just want a cheap PC to use internet and email, a store-bought machine can be cheap and suitable.

If you want a gaming PC or just a quality all round system, DIY is the only way to go unless you've got money to burn.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    laptops aint so easy to build unless you know how to squeeze big things into tight spaces.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast