Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Camera

hey, I'm going to buy a digital camera and I was wondering what kind is the best, and how many mega pixels should it have and stuff like that. I don't know anything about them, so please, go ahead and give your opinions on cameras!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Hey, me too! I'm right in the process of learning everything I can about them---my brother's a photographer, and he's told me this much, hope it helps;
    Basically, you have to decide what level of photography you want to be doing and go from there. Most of us will be pretty happy with a camera that provides about 3.0 mega pixels and around 3x optical zoom. Digital zoom is not the same thing---it just blows up the pixels ( simplified ) and you lose resolution. Also, if you're a point and shoot kind of guy, you'll want to find something that has most of it's features available as automatic. This range of specs on a camera will let you produce fine looking prints up to 8" X 10". If you want to blow up photos bigger than that--like poster-size, you'll need to step up to the 5.0 MP range..........and dig a lot deeper into your wallet.
    I've got lots more info but I'm tired of typing now. ( hunt and peck!! ) If you want, I'll come back later with more stuff.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Got_brains?'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by dj7295@24 April 2003 - 16:27
    hey, I'm going to buy a digital camera and I was wondering what kind is the best, and how many mega pixels should it have and stuff like that. I don't know anything about them, so please, go ahead and give your opinions on cameras!
    The best. If you only want THE BEST, go with the Nikon D100 and pair it up with the Espon Stilus Photo 2200! (Sorry, I cant spell )

You will get awesome shots and exelent quality pics and prints. (The printer can print 13" by 19" photos BORDERLESS! The camera can take 5.5 megapixel pics, but is VERY fast in taking them. If you want, you can take up to 6 pics a second at highest resolution! ITs KICK ARSE&#33

P.S. These are VERY expensive! (For the printer and the camera, about $2k without lenses or paper!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Yikes, that'll give your wallet a good thumpin' ! But yes, that combo is a dandy. B)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Riddler@24 April 2003 - 17:09
    Yikes, that'll give your wallet a good thumpin' ! But yes, that combo is a dandy. B)
    Yep&#33; B) :beerchug: :-" B) -_- < Its a new language&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    check out the pentax optioS. very cool, very small (supposed to fit in an altoids tin), yet full featured digi.

i&#39;m gonna buy one i think. it&#39;ll be my first digital camera too.

heres the link:

http://www.pentaxcanada.ca/products/digital/optios.php

thats the canadian site, pentax usa might have better info, i dunno.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I forgot, ther is the Nikon D-1... It takes pics EXTREMELY FAST but it is a lower quality pic.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Frankly any 3 megapixel camera will satisfy most people.
    Stay away from Sony. They use a propietery media card which is more expensive than generic types. Plus a Sony will always be more expensive than other similar cameras.(IMHO)
    Look for ones with rechargable batteries and generic removable media(compact flash, smart media card, etc). You will want to buy more storage and generic types are cheap these days.

The most important thing to do(regardless of where you buy it) is go into the stores and play with them. Every manufacturer has their own idea about ergonomics and how to actually operate a camera. Depending on your aptitude, some will be easy to use, some more difficult. This will vary between mfg. Play with the on-screen menus and settings. Believe me, you will thank me for this.

Don&#39;t bother to use the software that comes with the camera. It usually is a stripped down version with hardly any features. Plan on buying(haha, nudge nudge, wink wink) software for manipulating your photos.

Lastly, once you&#39;ve decided what model you want:
    Go to pricewatch.com to find the best prices.
    Go to resellerratings.com to find out about the vendor.

Hope that helps.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    the camera i got is a mustek gsmart mini2. its great. doesnt work to well in the dark but is excellent during the day. GSmart Mini2 it was only bout £50 including delivery

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    For what it&#39;s worth, I think I&#39;ve decided on the Olympus C3020. It&#39;s under &#036;600CDN and at 3.2 MP it should produce pretty sharp looking 8 X 10&#39;s....maybe larger. Best features are; automatic mode for point & shoot and fully customizable &#39; My Mode &#39; when you have the time to really set up a shot. Also has 32MB of internal SDRAM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast