Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New dvd burner: install or not?

Hey like it says i got a dvd burner and the money grabbing bastards at future shop want me to pay another 100$ just for them to install it or itll void the warranty on my comp and i know i can do it myself. so i guess what i want to know is if i should go ahead and install it. is there a way i can uninstall it and get rid of any evidence of it being on my computer so future shop cant F*** me over again.
    TIA for any help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    One way to beat the system would be to buy an external case for it so you can run it via usb. You wouldn't even have to open the case and there would be nothing they could do about it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm pretty sure restrictive warranty conditions have been proved to be illegal in most parts of the civilised world. Don't know if that includes Canadia though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It shouldn't void the warranty on your computer, but even if it does the only wya they'd know you had it installed is if theres a sticker on the side panel stopping it from coming open that you cant replace after closing the case up again...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I'm pretty sure restrictive warranty conditions have been proved to be illegal in most parts of the civilised world. Don't know if that includes Canadia though.
    Is that a dig against Canada?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    it depends on the case design, most likely you can install it, and if a warrenty issue comes up just take it out and no one will know.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    $100 to install a DVD Burner!?!?

*loads shotgun*

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Is that a dig against Canada?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah yes the little sticker " warranty void if removed " , just go ahead an install your self putting the sticker back in place after . Its how I got started working on friends computers $20.00 CND. to install memory @ Futureshop.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    But the Tech's at futureshop are highly trained experts in the field
    And I take my car into Canadian Tire to have all the work done
    Anyone want to buy a ticket for two any where in Canada on Jetsgo...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast