Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 99% Of The People Here Are Lying!

Poster
    ...what firewall?

2. Lounge   -   #22
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    i have been sharing and pirating since early 97.... irc, campus network days. All the people i know who share, friends, associates, fellow pirates, , no one i know, has ever seen any thing like this, or recieved anything like that. And by no means is this a small list... this is Direct connect hubs i hand out in, IRC rooms, etc...

So you... i would have to agree with the topic title...

3. Lounge   -   #23
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Good on you Schmiggy_JK23 !

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by zapjb@24 April 2003 - 21:11
    99% of the posts by people here saying they got caught by their isp or riaa or whomever are full of shit! BS BS BS! Notice the improper grammar & ludicrous claims. Also nay hardly a one of TSIF posters has a 100+ post count. Indeed the vast majority of the posters have less than 20 posts. They're either idiots or punks or riaa scum. Had to get this out. Whew.
    This message board may have 4-10 lurkers for everyone that posts here.

But getting busted might be enough to make a lurker make 1 post...

And chances are pretty good that they ARE newbies who can't get anything right...

All that said, there IS random monitoring going on -- but with Kazaa often having >4 million users at one time it takes awhile to reach everyone and some of the bugs in Kazaa (router not forwarding the internet ip but instead only the LAN ip) might be accidentally protecting people.

Also, SOME ISPs are far more heavily monitored than others...

5. Lounge   -   #25
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Switeck @ 25 April 2003 - 11:38 And chances are pretty good that they ARE newbies who can't get anything right...

6. Lounge   -   #26
    TRshady
    I was thinking why people are posting here there obviously fake letter (wanted to play along to hear responses) but zapjb your'e right, a lot of it is bullshit and I think there here to scare newbies and possibly o.a.p's into being scared into sharing. Those letters are fairly beliveable but on closer inspection, the truth is clear.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Fake letters or not, the RIAA is after us file traders. Witness this recent news item here in the US. Albeit they are looking for users trading large volumes of files, we are all at risk.
    Personally I use a firewall and have blocked a buttload of IPs(here's a great list). This won't stop anyone on the network from looking in your shared folder(s) though. And believe me, this is, in no way, illegal to do if you are sharing on an open network! Duh! (you, the user, has authorized it)
    The best bet is to not share everything all of the time(especially movies). Mix it up a bit. Don't show up on their radar when they are browsing this network we all share.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Poster
    The whole point of these tactics is to spread fear, doubt, misinformation and discord.

That is easier than trying to prosecute or sue anyone.

These people, or more importanly those they employ are not stupid. They would not only post as newbies. They would also place sleepers within the board. Who if anything are dead against the people who wish to stop sharing, or at least appear to be.

They would spend some time building up post counts and gaining trust. They would start threads and argue with each other in order to create points for normal members to join in with. Seeking alliances from existing members and gaining credibility that way.

Remember they could be working on loads of different forums at the same time. Building up credibility, don't think that when you see a name it is always the same person at the keyboard typing. That's why it's easier to do this if you use a distinctive style of writing. People just assume it is the same person, because the name and style are the same.

They would also create several characters on the board at the same time. See who was succesful, keep them and dump the failures. Maybe that's why there are a lot of posters who only get to 10 or so.

They would make posts like this one. Or scribblec's earlier post.

Unless you know a person IRL you don't know them here and you never will.

If you've bothered to read this, how is your sense of doubt now

9. Lounge   -   #29
    imported_stg1123
    Very true. Every threatening letter I see is the same recycled garbage. In fact, this letter is a hoax. Anger Management is a Sony Pictures production, not a Columbia Pictures as the letter reads. Also, the company listed at the bottom of the letter isn't even in business anymore. Good try, someone please ban this punk
    So I'm a punk huh?
    A sleeper for the RIAA?
    Firstly, I was offline for several weeks if you read the beginning of my post, and if you noticed my spelling is 99% perfect apart from when I'm too tired. Why do I say I was offline, because I lost touch with the forum and wasn't involved in the fact that the issue of these letters was becoming such an issue. I posted the letter the moment I received it on my email from my friend who was the victim of this hoax and I posted it because I couldnt believe this was happening and I thought everyone would be interested.
    The fact that this letter is a hoax remains dubious on one level. Simply because my friend knows nothing about computers, and she sent me the letter the moment she got it basically because she had no idea what was going on. And she got it from my isp abuse division who simply would not make this thing up which means the following.....!
    The letter was definitely sent by someone (company or hoaxer) to my isp, she was definitely uploading anger management (although i can never prove it i think it was Mr. Deeds) and that is not a hoax. A simple search on the web found the following.....Anger Management
    Please notice which company motif is directly underneath the picture for those who are confused which film company made Anger Management. I don't really now what else to say except it may be true that there are hoaxers going around or maybe it is the ones posting here saying it is a hoax who are the ones really sleeping with the RIAA and they're trying to give all the rest of us a false sense of security. Or maybe this concept is just a little bit too confusing for those punks.

Edit:Spelling

10. Lounge   -   #30
    imported_stg1123
    1 more thing did, what did you check to find out the company isn't in business any more?
    Punk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast