Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 99% Of The People Here Are Lying!

Proffesional Dumbass
    most of it is just to scare people

2. Lounge   -   #12
    I have no doubt they are. However, there's nothing to gain for me or comfort to draw if they are. I'll continue to proceed as if the RIAA/MPAA have "persuaded" my ISP (Comcast) to cooperate. (They have and they will). Therefore, it makes absolutely no difference to me if these claims of letters are false. There will very soon be many actual letters. Believe what you will. There's not anything further I can contribute to this thread.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Poster
    I think you could be, IF you provided supporting proof, such as the "scanned" copy of the actual letter and envelope with stamped postage. The paper would have a watermark of some sort, or possibly raised text for the letterhead. In fact, I have yet to see ANY legitimate proof that any of these letters are real. 
    AGREE.

When organisations are in the business of furthering some agenda the paper trail is one of your best ways of catching them out at it. Another story and too long.......

I'm sure the RIAA are sending out some legitimate letters. They are stepping up their campaign and putting pressure on the ISPs. I am sure the ISPs are going to vary in their responses.

Who usually does the dirty work for a powerful organsation? Most of the time the organisation gets someone else who they disclaim any official connection to. Of course then there is always going to be an assorted array of others with their own peculiar agendas.

In most intimidation campaigns though, that is the name of the game. Take some legitimate action occasionally and engage in a lot of scaremongering to keep people in a perpetual state of vigilance.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Poster

They can't hurt me !
    and i'm sticking to it ! to be scared is to be alert !
    K++ RULES , will never die!
    it's good entertainment reading all their s--t but we can filter some of the garb can't we?
    regards
    m8t

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Sneepboy's Avatar Poster
    I think most of them are from the Iraqi Information Minister. Why filter them? I think they are amusing.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jibbler@24 April 2003 - 21:21
    In fact, I have yet to see ANY legitimate proof that any of these letters are real.
    I have gotten word from a friend of mine on BearShare (Gnutella networks) who does a lot of video editing that HE has gotten one of these nonexistant threat letters.

I consider the threat to be legit -- the degree and amount are what's variable.

I even was running Peer Guardian at the time and think I have the ip address/s of the scanners which nailed him... for sharing US tv shows:

Thurs, Feb 27th?:
    Connection forcefully closed on: 64.15.229.56 - Overpeer
    Sun, March 1st?:
    Connection forcefully closed on: 64.58.66.201 - Overpeer

Thurs, March 6th:
    Connection forcefully closed on: 66.79.69.33 - MediaDefender
    Connection forcefully closed on: 65.160.23.158 - OverPeer
    65.160.23.158 is on BearShare v4.0.1

64.15.229.56 - Overpeer, 64.58.66.201 - Overpeer, 65.160.23.158 - OverPeer, 66.79.69.33 - MediaDefender

My 'data' could actually be legitimate users, but considering the timing of their arrival and resulting cease-and-desist EMAIL letter around the same time (about March 2nd) I am inclined to believe these are the leeches responsible.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    I'd consider that worth considering as at least circumstantial evidence that there might be a connection.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Switeck@25 April 2003 - 00:26
    64.15.229.56 - Overpeer, 64.58.66.201 - Overpeer, 65.160.23.158 - OverPeer, 66.79.69.33 - MediaDefender

My 'data' could actually be legitimate users, but considering the timing of their arrival and resulting cease-and-desist EMAIL letter around the same time (about March 2nd) I am inclined to believe these are the leeches responsible.

legitimate users? Like this? spammer
    Proud member of MDS

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster
    Zonealarm tells me there have been 3 attempts at hacking over a 21 day trial period. It also tells me of unauthorised attempts to make contacts and it claims to be able to track down the destination/origin of those attempts.

Is 3 in 21 days considered a lot of hacking attempts?

10. Lounge   -   #20
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Not particularly.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast