Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone please help me? "Internet Issue"

I have 4 computers, 2 connected wirelessly, 1 connected cabled to the router, and the main computer connected directly into the internet. Everysince I connected the 4th computer (cabled) into the network everything has slowed down dramaticly the website google takes almost 7 times longer then it used to take. Every computer has a Firewall, Anti Virus, and Anti Spyware. Every computer has been updated fully. I have 500kbps down and 50up, so there should be no reason for this slow down. The 4th computer is cabled because it is only 2 feet away from the main computer and router. They are both the gaming Pc's. Every computer is running Windows Xp. All Graphics cards Nvidia Geforce 6600's and 6800's. 1gig of memory each. Does anyone have any ides what is going on?
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I don't get what you mean by "and the main computer connected directly into the internet."

When using a router you're supposed to connect all local computers to the router.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The 4th comp could have some spyware or something that's using the internet making everything else slow.

Does it still go slow for the other computers if you unhook the 4th?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Im sorry I ment that I have to wireless and 2 cabled to the router. And no there are no spyware I have the lastest spyware, firewall, anti virus installed. The firewall is automatically set to work with router. I've already done hijack this etc nothing. There can't be anything wrong with the 4th because it had been reformatted a few weeks ago. I've also checked and there are no people stealing my internet or anything. I just can't seem to figure it out. I've spoken to the Linksys tech and they can't help but give me basic info. WHen I unhook the 4th everything is fine. Ive tried unhooking the first anmd plugging the 4th in and it works. I just dont see how having a 4th computer hooked up slows everything down. I could even turn all 3 off and leave the main one on and it would still be slow. I've used several different internet cables and it made no difference.

Edit: Also tried plugging it into different ports on the router still no difference.
    Last edited by imasoldier; 03-27-2006 at 06:07 AM.
    Systems Specs

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    There can't be anything wrong with the 4th because it had been reformatted a few weeks ago
    That is not a valid conclusion. Windows can have spyware five minutes after it is freshly installed if you vist a malicious website with internet explorer. Was the latest service pack, all current patches and an alternative browser installed?

Look at the network lights with and without the fourth computer plugged in. Are they flashing away like mad?
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by imasoldier
    ... I could even turn all 3 off and leave the main one on and it would still be slow.
    There's no main or secondary computer on a LAN when using a router. All computers are treated the same.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    At Zaphhodiv: I have the latest service pack, all current patches and use FireFox. I've tried using the regular I explorer but there is no difference.

At Virtualbody1234: I ment the main computer to be mine and the only computer to be mostly used.

The 4th computer is made for gaming only. It's not that the graphics are no good and not enough memory I can play any game on the 4th computer fine except when I get on to the internet. It seems as if it's sucking all the bandwidth but I don't see why it needs that much.
    Systems Specs

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I repeat, test with the forth computer on and with it turned off.

Look at the data light on the back of the forth computer next to it's network cable and the lights on your router. Is the forth computer causing lots of network traffic?
    Last edited by zaphodiv; 03-27-2006 at 06:02 PM.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    you could try installing netlimiter on the 4th pc and then you can play around with limiting upload speeds from that pc. (it should also tell you what is using bandwidth).

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    At Zaphodiv I did that and it is the same as any other computer it blinks about 4 - 7 times a second.

At Ilw: I will try that
    Systems Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast