Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who will take Premiership 4th?

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by What'spunk.
    It would be great if the English FA had to support a change in the rules for the second year in a row.

Basically because it would be their decision which one went into the champions league and that really would be a no-win.

If you weren't such a brand new member, I'd say that was a rod. If Arsenal don't manage to pre-qualify thro' the Premiership but win t'cup, they will take the EPL fourth positioned team's place in next seasons CL.

Mind, that's just what I've heard people saying. I've not read it anywhere official.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Sports Club   -   #32
    The way I heard it, in such a situation.

Arsenal win the Cup

Spurs are Fourth.

Then the place is given by the English FA. That's what they said onTalksport anyway. I may have picked it up wrong, but I think EUFA's attitude was "If it happens again, sort it out in the country concerned"

I think it's just assumed that Arsenal would get it after what the FA did and said last year. Which is what my last post was about.

3. Sports Club   -   #33
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Just had a quick scout about on the BBC site now and it appears that new rules have been brought in which will deny Spurs a place in the CL if Arsenal finish below them but win the thing.

New rules brought in this season would deny Spurs if they finish fourth in the Premiership and rivals Arsenal finish below them but win the European Cup.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ur/4928328.stm

I was gonna look on the UEFA site itself but it's too difficult to navigate of a Sunday morning with a hangover
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

4. Sports Club   -   #34
    Thanks, I was sure I heard that it would be up to the FA. In effect they gave the places to the first four teams, but if they wanted to then they could replace the fourth team with the winners of the cup, only if they wanted to.

I didn't realize that the EUFA regulation stated that in these circumstances then they had to get it. I must have picked it up wrong.

5. Sports Club   -   #35
    Rule 1.03 "At the request of the national association concerned ...the fourth placed club in the top domestic league championship has to be entered for the UEFA cup".

That's what confuses me, it seems to be that the FA has to request the change. It doesn't count for countries with less than four entries.

http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL...Id=316773.html

6. Sports Club   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah, I see what you mean.

Seems like the FA have to request it. UEFA have put the onus on the regulatory body of the nation concerned, which is a bit naughty.

I reckon that the FA must have said exactly what they will do should such a situation arise at the time when this provision was implemented - which is put forward the winners of the cup and relegate the 4th placed team to the waffa cup. I think this because anyone I've heard talking about the possible scenario on the TV or interweb has been utterly certain that Arsenal would go into next year's CL for definite if they win it.

Again, I can't find any reference to it tho'

7. Sports Club   -   #37
    I think UEFA has just taken the position - If it happens again, you decide. However people just haven't picked up on it as if it was a UEFA decision.

It would be interesting to see what the FA said about it at the start of the year, if anything.

If they didn't allow for it in their rules then surely Spurs can expect the place, because that's the norm. If they said that the cup winner would get it, then Spurs have no complaint.

8. Sports Club   -   #38
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    What a sickening end to my little thread.

Couldn't have finished any worse really. I would have taken a UEFA Cup spot at the beginning of the season but it doesn't seem like much of an achievement now.

9. Sports Club   -   #39
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillian
    What a sickening end to my little thread.

Couldn't have finished any worse really. I would have taken a UEFA Cup spot at the beginning of the season but it doesn't seem like much of an achievement now.
    Fuck off. We got relegated.

The Premiership is dead to me next year

10. Sports Club   -   #40
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    True, true.

My "second" team, Leyton Orient, got promoted in pretty dramatic fashion so I think I'll just linger on that today.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast