Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: French riots

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4855084.stm

The youngsters want cradle-to-grave employment, and they're going to run around, break stuff, hassle cops and not work until they get it.

Sounds like a plan.

After the hullabaloo over the endangered 35-hour work-week, I don't wonder, 'Why?'

Good thing the French economy is in such good shape.

I think the cops over there ought to crank up the pressure on those water-hoses they're using...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I pick labors side over managements. Excepting pro sports.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I pick labors side over managements.
    In all cases?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    zedaxax's Avatar ___________
    I used to live on Rue de Rennes -the weekly demonstrations passing by may have altered my childhood.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    and they're going to run around, break stuff, hassle cops and not work until they get it.
    Sure thing. Between 200 and 300 youths out of 1.5 million protesters certainly warrant generalisation.

The youngsters want cradle-to-grave employment,
    No, no, no. If you're going to deform the facts to suit your chronical french bashing habit, at least do it properly and say something about retirement at 40, free coke and hookers.

And you could also do like the people at the New York Times and make it a question of race and social class.
    Quote Originally Posted by the NY Times
    Back in November, it was the sons of North African immigrants in their dreary suburbs exploding in frustration at the lack of jobs, prospects or programs. It was hard not to feel sympathy with their cause, along with outrage at their response.

This time, privileged university students have been protesting what they see as an assault on the job security that they consider their birthright. But the labor reform to which they are so opposed is much needed and was proposed by Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin as a partial answer to those who rioted in the suburbs.
    Oh well, carry on. In the meantime, I'll go plan my undeserved retirement, eat cheese and surrender to Germany or something to that effect.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume
    Sure thing. Between 200 and 300 youths out of 1.5 million protesters certainly warrant generalisation.

No, no, no. If you're going to deform the facts to suit your chronical french bashing habit, at least do it properly and say something about retirement at 40, free coke and hookers.

And you could also do like the people at the New York Times and make it a question of race and social class.
    Back in November, it was the sons of North African immigrants in their dreary suburbs exploding in frustration at the lack of jobs, prospects or programs. It was hard not to feel sympathy with their cause, along with outrage at their response.

This time, privileged university students have been protesting what they see as an assault on the job security that they consider their birthright. But the labor reform to which they are so opposed is much needed and was proposed by Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin as a partial answer to those who rioted in the suburbs.
    Oh well, carry on. In the meantime, I'll go plan my undeserved retirement, eat cheese and surrender to Germany or something to that effect.

Who gives a feck what a middle-aged woman from Kent thinks.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7

Apologies; I meant no generalization, but the point of the demonstration is to secure job rights that preclude firing, correct?

If I am wrong, clue me in; all I can go by is what I see on the news.

As to the melee on the TV, it looks as if there are more than 300 doing the rioting, but, again, I'll defer to you.

I have no problem with demonstration, but I have no truck with rioters.

They should be carted off in short order.

My opinion only, of course.

How much clearer must I be about the objects of my French "derision"?

Chirac is not my cup of tea, nor is de Villepin.

I haven't the least problem with you, or your Frenchiosity.

I am quite sure your country is splendid, and far outstrips my own in every way that matters.

You are of course aware that I feel the NYT is appropriate only for wrapping fish?

Indeed I shall, but if you are going to reject my post out-of-hand, perhaps you'd favor me first with your view of whether your government ought to preserve such luxuries as your (compared to ours) short work-week, free health-care, and guaranteed employment without taking steps to ensure their fiscal viability?

As an American, I'm constantly hearing we are backwards for not having all the social entitlements you enjoy.

The reason you have demonstrators in the streets is a result of economic strain caused by these policies.

Over here, they'd just raise our taxes; have you tried that?

BTW-before you jump to the mistaken conclusion I'm enjoying a bout of schadenfreude, try to entertain the idea I might just be trying to learn a little something about your country and how you feel about it.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    and they're going to run around, break stuff, hassle cops and not work until they get it.

Uh isn't he talking about the youngsters that were doing the fucking up?
    Last edited by Busyman; 03-28-2006 at 11:19 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Busyman-clear out your inbox, huh?

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Indeed I shall, but if you are going to reject my post out-of-hand, perhaps you'd favor me first with your view of whether your government ought to preserve such luxuries as your (compared to ours) short work-week, free health-care, and guaranteed employment without taking steps to ensure their fiscal viability?

A Bush supporter talking about fiscal viability?

Damn, I nearly pissed myself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast