Thread: Static Or Dynamic?

Poster
    I'm getting ADSL and was wondering if it's worth getting a static IP address. What are the causes for getting one? I don't mind the extra £5 but a dynamic will protect me from RIAA and $hit like that right?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    dynamic ips wont protect you from anything.

sure, ur ip changes... but your provider still has to keep logs of who had what ip at what time, for security, and legal purposes...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@25 April 2003 - 11:09
    dynamic ips wont protect you from anything.

sure, ur ip changes... but your provider still has to keep logs of who had what ip at what time, for security, and legal purposes...
    That may be true, but if you think your a likely candidate to be hacked, go for a dynamic i.p. With the i.p. changing all the time, it makes successful hacks a lot less likely than if you had a static i.p.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Good point... though i took it as he was only worrying about legality/filesharing issues.

But a good firewall, hardware and or software is fine for most users to prevent such hax.

but a dynamic ip will also help... that is, assuming you restart your pc often... cuz if you dont, it wont really mater... as ur ip would stay the same, per boot up...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I have a stattic ip address and it never ever changes, even when i do reboot my cable modem, i think its great because if you have your own ftp you dont have to go through all the palaver of that dns crap. and ive been connected 24/7 for 8 months now ftp up 90% of the time and at least one other p2p proggy running, emule+, bittorrent, slsk, newsgroups and all i have got is norton internet securite and peergaurdian, ive had plenty of so called hack attempts and plenty of media defender and riaa blocks but (touch wood) ive never had a succesful hack or a letter from my isp.

I get mine with my connection though through NTL in the uk £35pm 1078/256 (the 1 gig limit is a load of crap, dont let that put you off if you can get ntl) with a stattic ip, but if it was going to cost me an extra £5pm just to go from dynamic to static i think i would stick to dynamic, as its not realy that hard to set up a dns name.

stoi

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Yeah, okay, I reckon I'll get a static IP for ease of use for loggin in remotely etc.

And I'll just use Symantec Norton Personal Firewall 2003 Professional Edition.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Although, to a hacker, it doesn't matter if you have a static or dynamic IP. Any good hacker will have full lists of IPs assigned to a various ISPs. They then just attack all of them.
    That being said, the static IP is offered as a premium for setting up a server or FTP computer. This way you can avoid paying for a DNS service(more expensive).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    free static ip's available from www.dyndns.org
    i think you can have up to 5 "static" ip's