Thread: Bill says, "Another serving of DRM will make you healthy, wealthy, and wise."

Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8

Arrow

Vista won't show fancy side to pirates

Windows Vista plans to offer you spiffy new graphics, as long as you're not a pirate.

With the new operating system, Microsoft is offering plenty of new graphics tricks, including translucent windows, animated flips between open programs and "live icons" that show a graphical representation of the file in question.

To get Aero graphics, you'll need to have a higher-end version of Vista and a system that meets some pretty arcane requirements, according to unofficial draft guidelines.

It's the latest salvo in Microsoft's efforts to crack down on people who use pirated versions of its OS. But before Vista will display its showiest side, known as Aero, it will run a check to make sure the software was properly purchased.

"Those who are not running genuine Windows will not be able to take advantage of the Windows Aero user experience," a Microsoft representative told CNET News.com on Wednesday.

The move is the latest salvo in Microsoft's broad attack on those who use unauthorized copies of its operating system. In the fall of 2004, Microsoft began testing the Windows Genuine Advantage program, designed to verify that a particular copy of Windows is legitimate.

At first an optional program, the piracy check eventually became mandatory for many types of Windows XP downloads, but was not required to run any aspect of the operating system itself. Microsoft has identified reducing piracy as a key way for the company to grow its sales of Windows, which is already used on more than 90 percent of personal computers.

News

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah my next computer will have Vista preinstalled or maybe its time to look to a Mac , on the bright side I'v never paid for any flavour of windows 3.1 and up .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I'm still waiting for a refund of my "unusable Windows ME" ! Before I buy any other Windows OS.

Regards

Digby

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    This will not stop the l33t!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    First of all this will be cracked.

Second of all, this won't increase sales much because a) it will be cracked just as activation in xp was cracked and b) people would mvoe to another OS if it was somehow not possible to crack vista.

Anyway, why would they only lock out aero why not all of windows.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh course it will be cracked but digmen1 has a good point , rebate for ME user's please !

You know it will help the hardware company's sell more as people will be looking to "see" all the Aero options , their already taking about 2 GB of fast ram to fully experience the view but 64 GB vid is ok ? . Pleaseeee give me a break !
    Last edited by peat moss; 04-14-2006 at 03:30 AM.