Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $1000+ HDTV set gets OWNED by UPS!

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You finally get around to ordering that new TV. Not only that, IT'S IN HIGH DEFINITION! All is good, until delivery day...

.... pieces lay upon your doorstep.

Here's some photos:

A message from the an upset business owner (whom I know personally):

Be sure to use UPS... Even though you pay for insurance UPS has found away to get around paying claims for damages. Their claims representative indicates UPS will not be liable or responsible for loss or damage to any package resulting from improper, inadequate or unsafe packaging or wrapping that fails to meet UPS Standards set forth ion UPS Tariff, even though UPS drivers will not refuse picking it up or shipping it with out protesting its condition. This sounds like it is run by the Republican Party or the Peoples Republic of China. The claim represented by the pictures shows the destruction UPS did to this $1000.00 HD TV. The TV was shipped in a Philips Corp Container. Yes, when something is dropped, smashed and crushed by other packages it may appear inadequate. Ever seen a fully loaded UPS truck with a pissed off driver trying to load 140 pound box in and out of his truck. Is it possible that it could be dropped with the driver laughing. After destruction it is quite possible that it may appear that inadequately Packaging was used in the container. The box shown used to be a new box and new TV when it was placed in our stock, and later shipped to Indiana. The customer was dissatisfied with his item condition and returned the product immediately. This is the way it appeared upon its return to Texas.

Here's Info on this TV from Phillips.com : http://www.consumer.philips.com/widescreentv/
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 04-05-2006 at 05:29 AM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    any way that he could go throught the Better Business Bureau? I would assume that the proper packaging from Philips is good, and it should be easy enough to look at what is left of the box and see if it is good enough for shipping. If UPS is right, then the guy returning the TV doesn't deserve a refund. either way, your friend shouldn't have to eat this loss.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

3. Lounge   -   #3
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    fedex has to call & ask me where i live. ups doesn't.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Did it still work?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    that's what happens when you post a fragile package, through the letterbox...

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    Did it still work?
    Do you wanna buy it?

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    That's the oldest looking HDTV I've ever seen

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmight
    Be sure to use UPS... Even though you pay for insurance UPS has found away to get around paying claims for damages. Their claims representative indicates UPS will not be liable or responsible for loss or damage to any package resulting from improper, inadequate or unsafe packaging or wrapping that fails to meet UPS Standards set forth ion UPS Tariff, even though UPS drivers will not refuse picking it up or shipping it with out protesting its condition. This sounds like it is run by the Republican Party or the Peoples Republic of China. The claim represented by the pictures shows the destruction UPS did to this $1000.00 HD TV. The TV was shipped in a Philips Corp Container. Yes, when something is dropped, smashed and crushed by other packages it may appear inadequate. Ever seen a fully loaded UPS truck with a pissed off driver trying to load 140 pound box in and out of his truck. Is it possible that it could be dropped with the driver laughing. After destruction it is quite possible that it may appear that inadequately Packaging was used in the container. The box shown used to be a new box and new TV when it was placed in our stock, and later shipped to Indiana. The customer was dissatisfied with his item condition and returned the product immediately. This is the way it appeared upon its return to Texas.
    As some of you may remember, I work for UPS, and I've been there just over seven years now. For the past 3.5 years I've been a Finance Supv overseeing a division known as Revenue Recovery. Unfortunately, I see this type of thing on an almost daily basis - it happens.

When a driver picks up a package, he/she has no idea what's inside and if it's packed properly. That is the complete responsibility of the shipper. And don't give me the "It was in a TV box!" because we see retail boxes like that all day long that typically are being reused.

Now, if said package arrives and is damaged AND the package had insurance, then the customer calls the 800 number, and a UPS rep will come out to inspect the package and damage. If it is determined that the package was well packed and that UPS is at fault, then the claim check will be sent out within 10 days per protocol. It's pretty simple.

If the UPS rep comes out and it's obvious that that the contents were not properly packed, then no, the claim won't be paid.

Besides, UPS would pay the claim to Philips Magnavox (or the 3rd party seller) as they are the shipper and not to your "friend". That's the way it works - PERIOD. Your friend shouldn't be out anything but some lost time until his replacement TV set comes from the seller.

In the building that I work in, we process around 120,000 packages/day. Of that we might have 200 damaged. That's a .0016% chance that your package will be damaged - that's pretty minimal.

MY THOUGHTS:

You'll also see where the word 'damaged' is written on the top of the box. This was written by what is called an ECS Clerk. This package was marked as being damaged while still in the UPS system. Where's the arguement?

Also, this does NOT look like a new TV straight from Philips. Where's the packing material. (I might see some in the screen reflection but not sure) Look at all the different kinds of tape and how flimsy the box is. The box has been used before if you ask me.

ps - The comments about pissed off drivers dropping packages and laughing about it....get real. Drivers are paid very well and 99% take their jobs very seriously. That's why we're ranked #1 by consumers several years running now as the most repected company in America.
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-05-2006 at 07:19 PM.

yo

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    /banned for advertising

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast