Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car audio help plz !!!!!!!

Josh's Avatar QX9650 @ 4.02Ghz
    Hello,

At moment i have factory fitted speakers and head unit.

2x 10CM FULL RANGE 30W MAX SPEAKERS

2x TWEETERS 40W MAX

2x 16.5CM WOOFER DOOR SPEAKERS 40W MAx

HEAD UNIT 4x40W MAX RMS=4x10W

Now thats the stuff i got in right now.

I was woderign if i could change speakers withotu changing head unit i will be changing head unit in near future but not just. Since the output of the headunit is RMS 10W would 25W and 35W RMS speakers work at all or would it damage it, and for the door speakers can i still put normal 2 way speakers in or so i have to put woofer speakers in becuase of the tweeters. I wish to do this:

2x 10CM FULL RANGE 25w RMS and 110w MAX

2x 16.5 2-WAY 35W RMS and 180W MAX

I will b e keeping tweeters the same and for the time being head unit will these speakers work with this head unit ?

Like a said its only for a short time until i get the 4x50w MAX (RMS 35W) Head unit but at moment im stuck with 4x40W MAX (RMS 10W) so will these 4 speakers work with it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    The maximum power capability of the speakers is unimportant as long as it is greater than the output of the head unit. If you replaced the head unit first you could possibly damage the speakers. What is important is the impedance of the speakers, but as long as they are within the range allowed for the head unit you won't do any damage to it.

You may lose a little clarity if the head unit can't power the speakers properly, but if you are going to be sitting in the car with that sort of sound output around you your ears will soon be damaged so you don't really need to worry about clarity.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    So i can use these new speakers wih this head unit and it wont be damaged, i know i would damage the speakers in there now with head unit pushing too much power to them but can under power damage them?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstyle_rave
    So i can use these new speakers wih this head unit and it wont be damaged, i know i would damage the speakers in there now with head unit pushing too much power to them but can under power damage them?
    no, the power rating on speakers states what the max that the speaker will withstand. if under powering your speakers would damage them then you would damage them every time you music is turned down.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    But max power output of head unit is 4 x 40W MAX so if RMS of Speakers is 35W and 25W they would be ok wouldnt they ?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    what everyone is telling you, is the impedance rating is most important.

numbers such as 2 ohm, 4ohm etc. are what to look for.

mismatching the impedance of your speakers versus that of your stereo, can (and will) damage your stereo.

think of it like this. if you were to crimp-off a water hose while it's running, the water backs up. the same thing can happen with your stereo. only the output signal is your water. if you "impede" it, the amp in your stereo must work harder. this produces more heat, and that's what causes component/pcb failure.

/just throwin' it out there.

(btw, wattage is not important at this point)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Nice analogy.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I have no idea about the impedence for my head unit have nto got a clue

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Check your current speakers, then match them. The impedance is often stamped on the back of the speaker. 4 ohms is common.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ok nice 1 thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast