Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electro expert needed

zedaxax's Avatar ___________
    Is there a tool / device which can tell you where the wirring is behind the planks on the wall? I need to put in alot of screws & don't want to have to redo the wiring.
    What is the name of such a device?
    hope they are cheep
    thanks

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I've got one. I don't know what it's called, but it's really good. It detects wires that have AC current going through, and it also detects metal pipes.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...041141-6555847

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    there is a litttle pen that you can buy that lights up when it passes near the positive side on a hot wire. some of them are pretty sensitive and could probably detect the wires, but I wouldn't put any money on it. in theory you could use some of the detection equipment the power companys use to find burried lines, but that is damn expensive and really not very accuarate. for your purposses, I would say to get a Stud finder. since the wires should be stapled the studs in the wall, if you know were the studs are, you know that the wires will be on the edges of the studs, so don't screw into the area 1 inch from each side of each stud, or better yet, screw into the stud it's self. of course thre will be places where the wire wiill cross a stud bay, but it would be damn near impossable to hit. what exactly are you screwing to the wall? you might want to use a stud finder anyways to make sure that you are driling into the stud so that whatever it is doesn't fall down.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    I've got one. I don't know what it's called, but it's really good. It detects wires that have AC current going through, and it also detects metal pipes.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...041141-6555847
    ya, I forgot that they make those, since I have never worked with one. most likely better to drill into the studs for strength issues.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Moved into a barebone house, need to put up "everything" .
    Thanks Barbarossa & TempestV, now ican go search for it on the web
    Barbs the one in your link wasnt too badly priced, will look into stud locator or Xray machines...
    problem with these things is that youll hardly ever use them, mostly in the begining of moving in.
    Cheers

6. Lounge   -   #6
    good luck

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I use it for fun when there's nothing on the telly. See if I can work out where all the wires from the lightswitches go.

No, I drilled through a cable once. Not nice, never again. Whenever I put up shelves or whatever, I always give it a quick scan first, just in case...

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Normally i wouldn't give a shit, and complain to the landlord if it did happen, but now that this is mi casa, i thihnk ill avoid the annoyance.

remember to check your girlfriend before drilling :

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Buy a metal detector,so when you've finished finding the cable you can have fun going over the garden looking for buried treasure

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    By code the wiring should be 1.25" (atleast it is in canada) into the stud, and if any less than that a metal plate is put in (same for plumbing).
    If you hit it it's the landlord's fault.

But seriously I guess you can try barborossa's idea altho i've never tried one of those for fiding wires or pipes.

What are you doing exactly?

edit: Oh I forgot about cable and phone lines, those crazy guys install those things however they want since there's not much of a code for it.
    Last edited by tesco; 04-07-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast