Thread: Usenet downloaders...

Hey there.

After starting to dip into the seemingly woonderful world of Usenet and working it all out OK so far I have a q...

The "with newsgroup" software I dl with my memership sucks muchos. Uopn fiddling and umming and ahing I tried Grabit which seems to not crash which is a start but has a couple probs.

Firstly, the dl speed jumps from full to nothing and back again continuously. Is this an error or just a glitch in how it presents the download speed to you?

Secondly, unlike the other client, it doesnt seem to have the facility to search by keyword and file extension / medium of choice. Is this right or have I missed it somehow? If so can anyone name me a few other clients that offer this facility yet are generally simple and work well?

Thank you very much to all.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I don't know about other programs but Newsbin Pro certainly works for me.
    You can load a group (or several) cache and filter by keyword, or use the search facility on all group caches.
    There are apparently cracks available but I paid for it and recommend supporting the development team in making such a great utility.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1234
    Firstly, the dl speed jumps from full to nothing and back again continuously. Is this an error or just a glitch in how it presents the download speed to you?
    That was the same issue when I used it before Newsbin Pro entered my life. Had to check sygate or other program to see the bandwith but it always used 100% even though the program itself isn't showing it correctly.

Only thing I find grabit usefull for is to use it with NZB files.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Cheers people.

Gonna give Newsbin Pro a go. As with all little programs like that i'l give the cracked version a go (or a free trial if it does one - have to check) and buy the software if it works for me.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Grabit is nice, and newsleecher too. Both have a montly fee if you want supersearch

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster
    I bought Newsleecher... Very nice very easy but also has the problem of not showing correct speed when anti-virus (AVAST) is running. Would go from 245KB to 0KB then jump back up again so I just turn AVAST off while downloading from USENET and then scan once its finished.

Have not had a virus or spyware on this machine in over 5years

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    jdoggvt
    i use newsleecher as well and have been very pleased with it. i've used grabit and newsbin pro as well, and imo newsleecher is sorta 'middle of the road' in terms of features/complexity