Thread: Basics?

Poster
    I'm starting up a small business and I'm looking to get a website for it going...Nothing flashy, just some links and information, maybe some graphic. The last site I did was with Geocities page builder (www.neverdead.co.nr)

Most of the stuff there is hosted on my server, so I don't have to worry about getting bandwidth errors because from downloading content, but I'm worried that if I get a lot of traffic, the site will go down.

I'm looking for something with this type of look:

http://www.knifefightfest.com/

Really nothing fantastic, but how could I go about doing it with no HTML skills, is it possible to make a fast loadng, attractive and pop-upless page?
    Last edited by Vamp; 04-11-2006 at 08:21 PM.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you could go about doing it by stealing the code for that link and using it for your own devious purposes.

just change the txt and the images and you should have something half decent.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Front Page is a good begginers program to make websites with or without html. If you know how to use Photoshop it's a good program for your graphics.
    Systems Specs
    -----------------------------------
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Poster
    Cool, does it have a learning curve though? How would I go about publishing the webpage to other a free host or my Streamload server (unlimited storage/10GB of bandwidth a month) and then use a free domain name like .co.nr or .za.net?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Front Page is a little tougher then what Geocities and all other free website building tools, but it is very easy to learn! Just mess around with it for 15 - 30 minutes you will get it easily. Photoshop on the other hand may take longer to learn but you can go to www.pixel2life.com and just play with their tutorials and you will get it in no time.

If your starting a business, you'll want a professional one so it is recommended to learn html It's really easy it's not like C++ programming language where you got to do some math and use your brain. Html is extremely easy take some online tutorials. Only took me 2 days to learn.

Also for a business with a free domain, it is not good at all nobody will go there or buy anything. Have you thought about ebay? I have my business there and makin plenty of money without the use of html or building of a website. It has to be the easiest of all. That is if your selling anything. I'll come back with more info later.
    Systems Specs
    O/S: Windows Xp Service Pack 2
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4
    Speed: 2.6 ghz
    Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 6800 128MB DDR SDRAM
    Ram: 1Gig of ram
    Comp Model: Hp Pavilion a250n

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    Poster
    Well, I think my old site that I did with Geocities looks decent (www.neverdead.co.nr) except for the banner and the fact that it takes quite awhile to load.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production