Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDK Begins Shipment For 25GB Blu-Ray Disc

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    [news=http://www.playfuls.com/scitech/gimages/tdkbr25.jpg]Blu-Ray standards are slowly but steadily beginning to enter the market as manufacturers reveal their discs and players. Now world leader in digital recording solutions, TDK has announced that shipments for its 25GB recordable and rewritable Blu-Ray disc have begun.

A pioneer of blue laser recording technology and founding member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association, TDK is the first to market with bare Blu-Ray Disc media. Retail pricing is set at $19.99 for a 25GB BD-R (recordable), $24.99 for a 25GB BD-RE (rewritable). In addition, TDK will ship 50GB Blu-Ray Disc media later this year with retail pricing set at $47.99 for a 50GB BD-R (recordable) and $59.99 for a 50GB BD-RE (rewritable).

Source: http://www.playfuls.com/news_02013_T..._Ray_Disc.html[/news]

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    twisterX's Avatar Poster
    Damn thats expensive but DAMN thats a lot of gigs.

1 DVD = 4.5 GB @ 50cents

25GB/4.5GB= 5.5 DVD's = 6 DVD's

6 DVD's X 50 cents = $3.00

Though choice but I'll take the $3.00 version over the $20.00.
    Too expensive now and don't those rewritable ones have a short lifespan such as rewritable CD's/DVD's do.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    and don't those rewritable ones have a short lifespan such as rewritable CD's/DVD's do.

No clue, but they're tiny as hell, aren't they? Like, just a tad bigger than a PSP disc? That alone is attractive enough for me to buy them. What a great way to back up HDD's and store them out of site for a little amount of space!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by twisterX
    Damn thats expensive but DAMN thats a lot of gigs.

1 DVD = 4.5 GB @ 50cents

25GB/4.5GB= 5.5 DVD's = 6 DVD's

6 DVD's X 50 cents = $3.00

Though choice but I'll take the $3.00 version over the $20.00.
    Too expensive now and don't those rewritable ones have a short lifespan such as rewritable CD's/DVD's do.
    If you buy in bulk, one DVD-R is only 25 cents for premium/ 19cents for cheapos.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    So where will they show up first? BestBuy, circuit city, ..... Walmart?
    I would love to buy them. but then I will have to get a new Blu-ray Drive
    this is going to get very expensive

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    check out the price tag on this Blue-Ray player at bestbuy.com
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288677966
    and if you go to walmart.com they have several movies that can pre-orderd in blue-ray format
    they are priced from $30-$40
    Last edited by matt526; 04-12-2006 at 12:44 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by matt526
    check out the price tag on this Blue-Ray player at bestbuy.com
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288677966
    and if you go to walmart.com they have several movies that can pre-orderd in blue-ray format
    they are priced from $30-$40
    Yeah, Sony and their $1000 blu-ray player. Thanks, but I'll wait until competition brings the price down. They do have a PC that has a blue-ray drive on their website. It's extremely exciting technology but like always, a bit pricey at the start. People still have VCR's in their homes, some people don't even have DVD players yet... and we're already coming out with new and better devices! I foresee a very expensive future of electronic geeks and gurus...
    Last edited by delimare; 04-12-2006 at 04:18 PM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    LOL I still have a VCR that was built in 1979 hooked up to one of my TV's
    the thing still works

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Retail pricing is set at $19.99 for a 25GB BD-R (recordable), $24.99 for a 25GB BD-RE (rewritable). In addition, TDK will ship 50GB Blu-Ray Disc media later this year with retail pricing set at $47.99 for a 50GB BD-R (recordable) and $59.99 for a 50GB BD-RE (rewritable).
    I bought a 120GB hd new for $20 recently so wtf is the point of this.

Just plain silly is all that comes to mind...
    Last edited by RealitY; 04-12-2006 at 08:45 PM.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Ten years from now when they come out with violet-ray media and drives, and the blue ray stuff is cheap, I'll buy one. I made the mistake of buying a Dvd burner too soon and ended up with a Sony Dvd that burns at 2x speed and a pack of media I never used that burns at 1x speed. It will be the same thing with Blue Ray. I'd bet they have the capability of making media and burners that burn at 16x right now but do you think they will release 16x media and burners right away, I think not. Of course by the time the price becomes competitive some one will come up with a credit card like device that holds 100gig of data and flash drives will have reached that target as well.

Who wants to buy a 25gig movie disk with 20 gig of extras and interviews. My god, they'll probably start interviewing the microphone guys to fill up the disk, or the caterer will tell you what each star wanted for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast