Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus K8N-E Deluxe number of hard drives.

Poster
    I currently have one 200gb HD in my ASUS, does anyone know how many more it can hold? I've just started up a videography/editing business so I'd like to add another 250GB to it. Will having some video files on one harddrive and some on the other cause problems with speed etc? But the main question is how many my motherboard can hold.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    How many IDE ports does it have ?
    I'm guessing two, so you could have four HDDs installed.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    If this helps?

Drive Support: 6 SATA (RAID or Non-RAID) for six SATA drives, 2 EIDE UDMA 100/133 headers for four IDE Drives

I have no idea what that means.

What is the difference between Ultra ATA and Serial ATA? My current HD is a Western Digital WDC2000JB-00GVA0 which is apparently Ultra ATA...If I got a Serial ATA HD would it still be read?
    Last edited by Vamp; 04-12-2006 at 05:33 PM.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    What is the difference between Ultra ATA and Serial ATA? My current HD is a Western Digital WDC2000JB-00GVA0 which is apparently Ultra ATA...If I got a Serial ATA HD would it still be read?
    Ultra ATA uses a 40 pin parallel connector, Serial ATA uses a 7 pin serial connector.

You can add an Ultra ATA drive to a Serial ATA port with a suitable adapter, but AFAIK there's no adapter to make the opposite connection, so if your current mobo doesn't have a SATA port other you can't add a SATA drive unless you also buy a SATA card.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Well, the motherboard is listed as " 6 SATA (RAID or Non-RAID) for six SATA drives, 2 EIDE UDMA 100/133 headers for four IDE Drives "

So I'm guessing it's a SATA...How many harddrives can I run in it though? 6?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    10 drives, it says clearly 6 sata for six sata drives and it says 2 EIDE headers for four drives(meaning 1 master 1 slave on 1 header, 1 master 1 slave on other)='s 10

well also i may need to take in affect that if you are going to use cd roms/dvd burners/floppy drives: they use eide headers, so if you only have 1 of those drives i believe then you could have 9 HDD's.
    Last edited by DrBeerMan; 04-13-2006 at 05:59 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    as lynx stated "You can add an Ultra ATA drive to a Serial ATA port with a suitable adapter, but AFAIK there's no adapter to make the opposite connection, so if your current mobo doesn't have a SATA port other you can't add a SATA drive unless you also buy a SATA card."

That basically means if you don't have a sata drive you can take a drive normally plugged to an eide header and use an adapter to plug it into a sata header.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Ohhh, this shit makes no sense to me. When I get a new HD I'm just going to ask a tech if it will fit.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    But thanks a lot for the help
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    On the bottom of the picture you posted are two connectors one blue and one black, those are your ide connectors and each one can hold two drives either ide hard drives or cd/dvd-rom drives. If you plan on doing video stuff you probably want one or two cd/dvd rom drives which leaves you two places for hard drives of the ide type.
    To the left of the photo along the left bottom side you will see two blue connectors and right above that a group of four black connectors (they may actually be orange on your motherboard depending on its revision) these are sata connectors for sata hard drives.
    All that aside, it really depends more on your case than on how many connectors your motherboard has. If your case has room for only two hard drives there is your limiting factor not the motherboard. If your case is a full size server or workstation case it will usually hold four drives but if it a micro or mini case the limit will be more like one or two. To tell, you will have to open the sucker up and look to see how much room there is above and below the drive you already have installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast