Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Speeds ONLY On Filesharing Software

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper

Angry

i have recently bee having slow speeds only on filesharing software such as Limewire, DC++ and uTorrent. However the speeds on Firefox (internet) when browsing and dloading are alright and when i do bandwidth test its always alright. Somebody plz help me, i have tried almost everything and cannot pinpoint what the problem is

Thanx For Your Time

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Knocky's Avatar SomeBloke
    When you run a filesharing App like Limewire, you connect directly to other peoples computers. Their upload speed can affect your download speed. Also when you click to download a file on Limewire, the more people hosting that file the faster youll be able to download. Check next on the left of the file descrption in the main window. Go for high star rating and bigger numbers. On the .torrent side I always get crap D/L speeds. Best App to use i reckon is Azureus, you can try changing the port it uses to connect as some ISPs limit bandwidth to known .torrent connection ports to cut down on overuse. There are other things you can do like make sure that the link has a lot of seeds (people hosting the file) and not many leechers (people who download but dont upload) . This is because your D/L speed depends on amount of poeple available to uplaod. Also the .torrent system works on the fact that you get what you give. The higher upload speed you can allow for the higher download speed youll get. Dont go too high or youll find that you wont be able to browse while .torrent is D/L. IThere are a lot better explanations than this elsewhere on this site. For Bittorrent go to the bittorrent forum. Anyways hope this helped a bit.
    Last edited by Knocky; 04-13-2006 at 08:05 PM.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky
    i have recently bee having slow speeds only on filesharing software such as Limewire, DC++ and uTorrent. However the speeds on Firefox (internet) when browsing and dloading are alright and when i do bandwidth test its always alright. Somebody plz help me, i have tried almost everything and cannot pinpoint what the problem is

Thanx For Your Time
    What ISP are you with?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    UK Online

5. File Sharing   -   #5

Question Mark

Yeh i asked them if there was an anit-p2p policy or bandwidth shaping and they replied saying...Most p2p software now has a bandwith limit that is imposed by the p2p software or servers. In some cases, the bandwith is very low. For further information, read the help/support relating to the p2p software you use. Can someone tell me what this means exactly?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky
    Most p2p software now has a bandwith limit that is imposed by the p2p software or servers.
    Wonder where they got that crap from!

Try to randomise the ports in your client to see if they're blocking p2p, if they are then enable encryption in your client.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocky
    When you run a filesharing App like Limewire, you connect directly to other peoples computers. Their upload speed can affect your download speed. Also when you click to download a file on Limewire, the more people hosting that file the faster youll be able to download. Check next on the left of the file descrption in the main window. Go for high star rating and bigger numbers. On the .torrent side I always get crap D/L speeds. Best App to use i reckon is Azureus, you can try changing the port it uses to connect as some ISPs limit bandwidth to known .torrent connection ports to cut down on overuse. There are other things you can do like make sure that the link has a lot of seeds (people hosting the file) and not many leechers (people who download but dont upload) . This is because your D/L speed depends on amount of poeple available to uplaod. Also the .torrent system works on the fact that you get what you give. The higher upload speed you can allow for the higher download speed youll get. Dont go too high or youll find that you wont be able to browse while .torrent is D/L.IThere are a lot better explanations than this elsewhere on this site. For Bittorrent go to the bittorrent forum. Anyways hope this helped a bit.
    Are there? I found this explanation clear and correct! Thanks for that Knocky

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I think they are blocking p2p software (boo!) How do you enable encryption in Limewire? (if you cant, what p2p software (excluding torrent softwares) have the encryption option?)

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    "Also the .torrent system works on the fact that you get what you give. The higher upload speed you can allow for the higher download speed youll get."

I dont get that at all. Im with ntl and I can get my maximum download speed, even though my upload speed is a lot slower. So I can get over hundreds of kb downloads with only 50kb upload.

The isp is probably talking crap to stop you leaving them and going to someone else for your internet connection.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    You get fast download on torrents when there are lots of people with the whole files seeding it.
    When there is one person with the complete file and twenty people in the process of downloading it then your download speed is proportional to your upload speed.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast