Thread: Keep it OC'd or take it down?

Poster
    Double Post...Please delete.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    You'd better post again, cos the other post was empty.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I have a 6800GT clocked to Ultra speeds thats never given me problems..After a session of Oblivion, I saw that the card was at 79degrees, so that probably means it was at 80+ in game...Seeing as Oblivion is a performance taxing game, what should I do? Should I put my card back to normal speeds? How many FPS would I lose in Oblivion doing that? It seems that the difference between the card normal and overclocked is only a few degrees.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    The card maker will have set a temperature at which the card starts to throttle back (to prevent damage), you can't change it without modifying the cards bios.

On my 6600GT that temp is 105C, yours may be slightly higher or lower but not by much. By default you get a warning when you reach the temp limit, so if you've never seen it you are probably ok.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    The card maker will have set a temperature at which the card starts to throttle back (to prevent damage), you can't change it without modifying the cards bios.

On my 6600GT that temp is 105C, yours may be slightly higher or lower but not by much. By default you get a warning when you reach the temp limit, so if you've never seen it you are probably ok.
    Speaking of 6600GT, lynx is it worth OCing my 6600GT? after a good sessions of DOD:S the temp is about 69 degree's.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    69, lol

How much of a boost does the OC give? Many people have warned about going above 70o, My threshold is 120 and I just ticked the box now to notify me when it's reached that point with coolbits.
    Last edited by Vamp; 04-14-2006 at 09:58 PM.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park
    Speaking of 6600GT, lynx is it worth OCing my 6600GT? after a good sessions of DOD:S the temp is about 69 degree's.
    Check the temp at which it throttles back, it will be way above 69° so OCing shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that's just the GPU though, you can still fry the memory. Whether it's worthwhile is for you to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    69, lol

How much of a boost does the OC give? Many people have warned about going above 70o, My threshold is 120 and I just ticked the box now to notify me when it's reached that point with coolbits.
    If you OC both your GPU and memory by 10% you'll get a 10% performance increase. Note what I said above about your memory temps. As a rule of thumb I'd say that if the fan only cools the GPU then don't OC the memory by more than about 5%.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Check the temp at which it throttles back, it will be way above 69° so OCing shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that's just the GPU though, you can still fry the memory. Whether it's worthwhile is for you to decide.
    The core slowdown threshold is 145 C , and the memory it running at 1ghz which is fine i guess maybe ill just oc the core

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Yeah, mine is normally 350 core and 1000 memory and I have it clocked to 400 core and 1100 memory.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production